Thread: computer freezes

Default computer freezes

y friend said that my computer freezing is cos of hardware problem. I am not able to use mouse and keyboard, switch off computer from the back and then keep trying until it will start again. If it is a hardware problem does anyone know a software which will scan/check my hardware and tell me the problem?

i did buy an external key logger and when I plugged that into the back of my own computer it froze, but it froze afterwards when I didnt plug that in.

It just seems to lock up after a short while of loading the computer.

I did a virus scan with avast and nothing was found

I did the chkdsk C: /f /r in safe mode with command prompt and it seemed ok as it just restarted afterwards when i tried-

chkdsk E: /f /r though it got to checking 4/5 in the first verification stage and wouldnt get past 0 perecent. So I guess i couldnt check my other hard drive -my E drive?

Hello textbook,
    Quote Originally Posted by textbook View Post
    i did buy an external key logger and when I plugged that into the back of my own computer it froze,
    Is that when the problem started? Where was the key logger obtained from, and what is the operating system?

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I bought it from a company in New Zealand called keyghost www.keyghost.com, before I put it in i did push my computer forward quite hard. So dont know if it is the keylogger or me moving the computer and damaging something inside or a virus, but it did happen after I put the key logger into the keyboard port

Hi textbook,
    So dont know if it is the keylogger or me moving the computer and damaging something inside or a virus, but it did happen after I put the key logger into the keyboard port
    Hard to say what the cause of the problem is, if an infection is suspected you could produce a HJT log: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure before Requesting Assistance) and start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum

Before considering that have you contacted the vendor of the program you purchased?

Best regards.

Hello textbook,

I split off your HJT log and moved it to the malware forum as logs aren't to be posted in the Tavern.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=54070

Best regards.

Hi again textbook,

The HJT log is not showing signs of infection, while that doesn't mean something is not hidden,

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Before considering that have you contacted the vendor of the program you purchased?
    Also please see post #4 in the "Before You Post" FAQ.

If your Operating System is XP without a Service Pack or you cannot validate.
    You and Windows, a joint effort

Java is extremely out of date showing version jre1.6.0_03.
    Sun Microsystems~Java. Security vulnerability in older versions left on system

Best regards.

Hi again textbook,

The HJT log is not showing signs of infection, while that doesn't mean something is not hidden,

Java is extremely out of date showing version jre1.6.0_03.
    Sun Microsystems~Java. Security vulnerability in older versions left on system

Best regards.
    I dont jave service pack and cant update either with java.

also is it safe to do internet banking etc at the moment.
    Last edited by textbook; 2009-12-13 at 06:33.

Hello textbook,
    I dont jave service pack and cant update either with java.
    That is why I linked you to the FAQ.

Please read this topic: Have you updated Windows? Security Programs? Links and Tips.

When an operating system is not kept patched through "Windows Updates" it is a
    seriously vulnerable machine leaving a barn door open to malware. There is not only the risk of having your computer continually infected but also "owned" by a botnet. The computer would then be a zombied machine sending out spam/malware and infecting other net users all over the planet.

If you are experiencing difficulties with updating/upgrading: Validate Windows
    also is it safe to do internet banking etc at the moment.
    You need to secure your operating system, first stop is to go and validate Windows. If you encounter a problem doing so there will be an advisory giving options on how to fix the issue and you can let us know the results.

Best regards.
    ---------------------

Edit
    http://www.computerforum.com/165363-my-computer-freezes-then-wont-start.html
    Last edited by tashi; 2009-12-14 at 04:31. Reason: Added link to textbook's topic at another site