Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: allow or deny registry key changes

Default allow or deny registry key changes

Spybot frequntly asks me to allow or deny registry key changes. How do I know what to allow or deny? Twice yesterday, after cleanup, it asked me this and then proceeded to put up dozens of little screens in the corner saying I had denied or allowed it. It goes so fast, it won't let me do anything else and I had to open task manager and close spybot to get control of my computer back.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

myrna:

What version of Spybot - Search & Destroy and System settings protector (TeaTimer) are you running?

To determine that:
    • Right click on the TeaTimer icon (actually labeled "Spybot-SD Resident") in the notification area (system tray area) of the taskbar.
    • Select "About".
    • This should yield a pop-up dialog with both the version of Spybot - Search & Destroy and the "System settings protector" (TeaTimer).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I just downloaded it this week.

Lightbulb first make sure spybot is....

completely updated.

Then, read the FAQ under teatimer to find out what you need to do/how to respond to the prompts.

Generally if you make no changes to your computer, such as you were just browsing the web and not changing or installing anything, you should probably just deny. But if you change anything with your computer, such as installing a program or changing a setting, click remember and allow.

If you find teatimer (sd resident) to be to confusing, i suggest disabling it. Open spybot-click mode-advanced mode. Click yes. Go to tools-resident. uncheck teatimer protection over all systems active. Does that help?
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-09-30 at 23:27.

myrna:

You did not indicate what version of TeaTimer you are running. That may be the cause of "... dozens of little screens in the corner saying I had denied or allowed ...".

The latest versions of Spybot - Search & Destroy and System settings protector (TeaTimer) are:
    • Spybot - Search & Destroy
      • Version 1.6.0.30 (not 1.6.0)
    • System settings protector (teaTimer)
      • Version 1.6.3.25

Please respond again indicating the version of TeaTimer you are running.

129260:
    Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    completely updated. ...
    ???
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-10-01 at 00:46.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

version 1.6.0.0
    systems setting protector 1.6.0.20

as I said above, I just downloaded it this week so I would expect it to be the current, but these are not the numbers you give. If this is not the current, then I am confused.

Hello, and please forgive my intrusion, but I hope to know what version I have and to understand the following:

On my Tea Timer Icon it says: "1172 processes blacklisted" (?)

Then right clicking on it, it does not show "About", it shows instead:

"Run Spybot S&D. Settings. Show log. Help. Resident IE." Then under the latter it shows: "Block All Bad Pages Silently. Display Dialog when Blocking. Ask for blocking confirmation."

Kindly let me know how I can find out what Spybot SD version I have?

Thanks so very much! Adela

P.S. I was also trying to find the proper forum to ask why Smart or Full scanning takes almost 4 hours? Would it be this forum "Safer Networking?
    -----------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    myrna:

What version of Spybot - Search & Destroy and System settings protector (TeaTimer) are you running?

To determine that:
    • Right click on the TeaTimer icon (actually labeled "Spybot-SD Resident") in the notification area (system tray area) of the taskbar.
    • Select "About".
    • This should yield a pop-up dialog with both the version of Spybot - Search & Destroy and the "System settings protector" (TeaTimer).

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post

129260:

???
    I was saying that because she said "it asked me this and then proceeded to put up dozens of little screens in the corner saying I had denied or allowed it." were popping up informing her of the change she chose. Thats an earlier version of teatimer, as the newest teatimer uses balloon pop up messages to indicate the change the user chose. Not "little screens", the way they said that made me think of the "boxes" that used to pop up informing the user what option they chose in the older version of teatimer.

But then while i was replying she apparently added that she downloaded 1.6 so obviously that takes out my theory there, as i did not see it there before..
    Does that make sense? I hope so...

Any ways,

"P.S. I was also trying to find the proper forum to ask why Smart or Full scanning takes almost 4 hours? Would it be this forum "Safer Networking?"

Smart scan? As far as i know there isn't a smart scan, just a normal scan...but maybe i need to take a break....i been up late a lot lately..
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-10-01 at 05:14.

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post

Any ways,

"P.S. I was also trying to find the proper forum to ask why Smart or Full scanning takes almost 4 hours? Would it be this forum "Safer Networking?"

Smart scan? As far as i know there isn't a smart scan, just a normal scan...but maybe i need to take a break....i been up late a lot lately..
    At least MY Spybot SD has 2 options: "Smart Scan" and "Full Scan" and I have no clue what's the difference. Maybe because I have an old version? I just remembered the last time I scanned took over 5 hours - not "almost 4" as I mentioned previously...It's weird and I wish someone knew why... Adela

myrna:

The update for System settings protector (teaTimer) shoud be available via the integrated update facility. Go into Spybot > Update and see if there is a download for TeaTimer. That should bring you up to TeaTimer Version 1.6.1.0.