Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Persistent Warning

Did the Malwarebytes cleanup and installed new version. When I ran it, there were no threats found, see attached image.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Good deal

What we can do is to install a tool that helps stops malicious java scripts, many people don't care for the tool since it can take quite a while to get used to.

NoScript
    https://noscript.net/

How is the computer now?
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

I got hit with the fake "warning" (which also halts my browser) twice in one day, and then I haven't seen it again since I notified you that it was back. Do you have any idea what triggers it?

These are fake warnings - scams.

Please read: PSA: Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the Rise
    https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat...s-on-the-rise/

Also please read: Beware of Phony Tech Support Scams
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...ces/?p=3897161

Use the task manager to close your browser.
    How to Use the Task Manager in Windows 7
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Some questions before I try anything else:

1 - When I clicked on "http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7" to see what I could learn about using Task Manager in Windows 7, I did not find anything about Task Manager use. Can you steer me to it?

2 - You cautioned that some users don't care for the NoScript tool. Can you be more specific about that?

3 - I have not seen the fake warning pop-up in more than a week. Do you know if something specific triggers it, or whether it launches itself at random time intervals?

Quote Originally Posted by gin_jammer View Post
    Some questions before I try anything else:

1 - When I clicked on "http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7" to see what I could learn about using Task Manager in Windows 7, I did not find anything about Task Manager use. Can you steer me to it?

2 - You cautioned that some users don't care for the NoScript tool. Can you be more specific about that?

3 - I have not seen the fake warning pop-up in more than a week. Do you know if something specific triggers it, or whether it launches itself at random time intervals?
    I'll supply a different link for task manager.
    What I attempt to teach people is how to keep the window for task manager open, look at resources being used and which app or .exe is using the most and if it should be.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...s-task-manager
    Myself, I don't allow self updaters to run. If a tool or program needs to update I go to the tool myself or to the web site to check.
    This would apply to Adobe, Firefox, Chrome, Windows Updates, Java....it's a long list.

NoScript. Can be a handy tool to add to browsers. It has a way of being complicated but does do a good job on blocking out java script.
    Some consider it annoying to use because you have to open the tool from your addons list to disable it to run on sites you know to be legit. (Then leaving the site enable it again)
    Which, in itself can be a guess because at times some legit sites can be altered or attacked with malicious scripts and the developer of the site doesn't always know this without interactions from people who visit and or some kind of alerts to a problem.

fake warning pop-up in more than a week <= this is good.
    I don't think it launches itself at random time intervals but rather it was web site related. What you can do and, to all those who might read over this topic is to buckle down with good security and layered protection in an aid to fight in browser protection.

Web Browsers and Web Browsing

Web Browsers could be considered as the closest door between a malware and your system. This is where most malware goes through to infect a system, and therefore it should be the program(s) you want to secure the most. There are two ways of going about it: hardening your web browser via extensions, and having good browsing habits.

Hardening your web browser means to install extensions that will help it protect itself (and your system on the same occasion) against Exploit Kits, MiTM attacks, etc. but also you at the same time. Here are a few extensions that I recommend you to install.
    • uBlock Origin: Efficient multi-purpose blocker that is lightweight on RAM and CPU usage (Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, called uBlock on Opera);
    • HTTPS Everywhere: Extension that converts your HTTP (unencrypted) requests to HTTPS (encrypted) ones (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera);
    • Web of Trust: Website reputation, rating and review extension that will help you quickly identify bad and suspicious sites from good ones (every web browsers);
    • NoScript: NoScript is a script blocker (Java, Flash, JavaScript, etc.) for Mozilla Firefox and Firefox-based browsers (Mozilla Firefox and Firefox-based web browsers);
    • uMatrix: For advanced users, a point and click matrix-like extensions that allow you to control requests done on a webpage (based on source, destination and type) (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera);
    • LastPass: Secure password manager allowing you to create, manage, and use passwords you save in your LastPass account (every web browser);

As for safe browsing habits, you can find tons of guides, tutorials, articles, etc. online that will highlight the basics you need to follow (only visit websites you trust, do not click on ads, do not download files from untrusted sources, use a password manager, always verify the URL of a website and make sure it's correctly typed, etc.), and even what you can do if you want to take it a step further (create a fake email address for spam emails, browse the web in a privacy mode, etc.). Here are a few:

As you can see, there are plenty of resources out there. Simply Googling "good browsing habits" or "safe browsing habits" should allow you to find a lot of them.

created by Aura

Are we finished?

Every time I begin to think we are, the pop-up reappears, sometimes after several days of not having done so, and always for no apparent reason...except that I have my browser running. It of course does no permanent damage, but it stops whatever I'm trying to do at the time. Do you have any other removal tools I can try?

We can continue to scan the computer till the cows come home.
    My opinion is, it's coming from a web site your visiting.

Tried a different browser and have the same luck?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zemana AntiMalware - Fix
    • Download and install Zemana AntiMalware
    • Open Zemana AntiMalware, and click on the Scan button
    • Wait for the scan to complete
    • Once done, click on any threats it detected, then select Apply to all and Quarantine to quarantine all threats, and click on the Next button

• If it asks you to reboot your computer to finish the clean-up, do so
    • After that, click on the most upper right button to go to the Reports tab, select the latest System Scan entry and click on the Open Report button
    • A log will open in Notepad
    • Copy/paste the content of that log in your next reply

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

• Please download HitmanPro from here (32-bit) or here (64-bit).
    • Double click on to start the program. (Windows Vista/7/8 users: Accept UAC warning if it is activated)
      Note: If HitmanPro refuses to start then please hold down Ctrl when starting HitmanPro to activate Force Breach.
    • When HitmanPro's main screen appears, choose Next.
    • Place a checkmark in I accept the terms of the license agreement, then click Next.
    • Choose No, I only want to perform a one-time scan on this computer, then click Next.
    • Wait for HitmanPro to finish scanning your computer. This should take about 5 to 10 minutes.
    • When the scan is finished, all detected items will be displayed.
    • Referring to the screenshot below, click on the dropdown menu of an item in the list (if any) -> choose Apply to all -> click Ignore <= IMPORTANT!
    • This should apply the "Ignore" function to all detected items in the list. Then click Next.
    • Click Save log at the bottom of the HitmanPro window, and save the opened file to your Desktop.
    • Please Copy and Paste the contents of the log in your next reply.

Can I keep my browser open while running these so I may refer to your step-by-step instructions?