Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Numerous Issues Found, Can't Run Spybot or Install Latest HijackThis

Emeritus-Security Expert

Good Morning,

Looking good, are you able to boot to normal windows or are you still having problems ?
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

Actually, I have a little trouble booting in normal mode, this morning, but I was able to boot up just fine last night.

I almost hate to mention it, but I completely uninstalled Spybot, and deleted all remaining Spybot files from all directories before reinstalling it. I ran a scan again, simply because it was the last thing reporting a problem. Unfortunately, I still see the Virtumonde.sdn entry (C:\WINDOWS\system32\lesekanu). Do you think this is just a orphaned virus file, or do I still have a covert problem?

Emeritus-Security Expert

Not looking at anything bad that was removed to cause a slow boot up, you can try this

To Access Last Known Good
    • Go to Start> Shut off your Computer> Restart
    • As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly,
      this will bring up a menu.
    • Use the Up and Down Arrow Keys to scroll up to Last Known Good
    • Then press the Enter Key on your Keyboard

Tutorial if you need it How to boot into Safemode

I see no mention of that file in any of the scans, may just be an orphan

How are things running now ?

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Actually I was able to boot up again in normal mode, and it seems to be functioning normally. It may be a coincidence, but it seems that if I unplug the network cable while booting up, I'm less likely to have a problem. I have to do more testing to see if that's a consistent thing or not. (I can plug it in afterward and access the internet with no problem.)

If that file is an orphan, I'll just go ahead and delete it.

I haven't installed the windows update that's been waiting yet... Any issues with me doing that now?

Emeritus-Security Expert

Nope, windows updates, go for it

Glad things are better

ATF Cleaner <-- Yours to keep, run it now and then to clean out the clutter.

Malwarebytes <-- Yours to keep also, check for updates and run a scan now and then.

Combofix <---Is not a general cleaning tool, just run it with supervision or you can bork your system

• Click START then RUN
    • Now type Combofix /uninstall in the runbox and click OK.

Note the space between the X and the /, it needs to be there.

Now to remove most of the tools that we have used in fixing your machine:
    • Make sure you have an Internet Connection.
    • Download OTC to your desktop and run it
    • A list of tool components used in the cleanup of malware will be downloaded.
    • If your Firewall or Real Time protection attempts to block OTC to reach the Internet, please allow the application to do so.
    • Click Yes to begin the cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
    • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

Keep in mind if you install some of these programs. Only ONE Anti Virus and only ONE Firewall is recommended, more is overkill and can cause you problems. You can install all the Spyware programs I have listed without any problems. If you install Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard, they will conflict with the TeaTimer in Spybot , you can still install Spybot Search and Destroy but do not enable the TeaTimer .

Here are some free programs to install, all free and highly regarded by the fine people in the Malware Removal Community
    • Spybot Search and Destroy 1.6
      Check for Updates/ Immunize and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis. If you install Spyware Blaster ( Recommended ) then do not enable the TeaTimer in Spybot Search and Destroy.
    • Spyware Blaster It will prevent most spyware from ever being installed. No scan to run, just update about once a week and enable all protection.
    • Spyware Guard It offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts, again, no scan to run, just install it and let it do its thing.
    • IE-Spyad
      IE-Spyad places over 6000 web sites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
    • Firefox 3 It has more features and is a lot more secure than IE. It is a very easy and painless download and install, it will no way interfere with IE, you can use them both.

Safe Surfn
    Ken

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Yes, thanks things do seem to be pretty much back to normal. Thank you so much for your help.

Regarding the uninstalls, I've been pretty much deleting the scan tools after we've successfully used them and moved on. Will it pose a problem for me not to run that ComboFix uninstall and the OTC application? The ComboFix executable is long gone. In fact, the only thing left on my desktop is ATF Cleaner, which I liked and planned on hanging on to anyway.

Emeritus-Security Expert

Well, if you feel there gone than there gone. What the command for removing CF does is removes all the backups also, as if there still on your system your AV or a future scan can pick them up and you will think your infected when your not.

C:\Qoobox
    <--Delete this folder, its all the CF backups

Take care, been a pleasure helping you

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Quote Originally Posted by ken545 View Post
    if there still on your system your AV or a future scan can pick them up and you will think your infected when your not.
    I noticed that, I had a few files left in a folder and they were indeed reported. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ken545 View Post
    Take care, been a pleasure helping you
    Thank you sir, the pleasure is all mine. You're a gentleman and a scholar!

Emeritus-Security Expert

Take Care,

Ken

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Emeritus-Security Expert

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad I could help.

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue