Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't boot after v1.5.2 installation

I found something on the majorgeeks forum that worked for someone there.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=163170

In case the link doesn't work (and I see the last link I posted to this thread at majorgeeks did not), I'll copy and paste:

"I had the exact same problem this week. Very frustrating. I tried three different utility programs that I could boot from the CD drive. Norton System Works, System Mechanic, and Fix It Utilities 8 Profesional. Fix It Utilities 8 was the only one that solved the problem. Use it to boot from the CD. Run the "Recovery Commander" then restore a "system restore checkpoint"
    Everything is fine now. Works good. Cost about $30-$40"

Hope that helps someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Niteblitz View Post
    Sorry for the above post but it wouldnt let me edit. I am running xp on a gateway. I ran the scan yesterday and spybot deteceted a couple of items but the only ones i remeber where hellzlittlespy and a better internet auroura. then after i removed those i went on system internals to clean the registry, then i tried restarting the computer and the whole looping nightmare started. I cant access the registry through my network ive tried that, I was going to try the bart thing but im running vista from this computer and am not sure if it will work. I can get to the command prompt by using my recovery cd but all it says is A:\> and i have no idea where to go from there. Can anyone help?
    Not sure what the rules are here about directing people to other forums, but I figure at a time like this, the point is to help people get back into their systems, to heck with the rules, eh?

There is a discussion about this at majorgeeks.com. That discussion is here:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=163170

One of the posters in that discussion mentions this to get to a system restore from a command prompt:'

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

Hope that helps!

How does one do any of this without an XP installation disc? It seems I've seem several solutions but I either need the installation CD or the instructions aren't very clear....Nor can I get in using Safe mode....HELP!!!

From what i gathered that link for system restore with the command promp you still have to get to your actual desktop or something, however i was able to creat this bart cd and to answer the question above me i did it without an xp disk. I went to a freinds house that was running xp and i just had it search for the xp things it needed. I am going from this website http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fi...nlog-off-loop/
    i cant remeber who posted the link but ill see if it works ill let u guys know.

Default I finally got my computer running again

Im so happy right now, I finally got to the desktop and these instruction really worked http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fi...nlog-off-loop/ thanks for that website my computer was saved for now.

hello,

here
    are some hopefully helpfull descriptions on restoring the login.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Angry Spybot false positives

After doing several virus scans including some online ones spyware scans as well and alot of research, Ive figured out what started this whole boot prob. After doing the last update with spybot then running spybot, i found it was picking up false positives. I never had HellsLittleSpy, none of us prob did. By Spybot taking out that user init line in the registry (the supposed HellzLittleSpy) it messed up the comp. Some of you will prob have to do windows repairs or even format. It also gave a false reading for a line in the reg having to do with my Nvidia graphics card (aurora, a better internet) and coolwwwsearch.

Default More obstacles

Quote Originally Posted by Yodama View Post
    hello,

here
    are some hopefully helpfull descriptions on restoring the login.
    I have tried every one of the suggestions that I could, to no avail. The biggest problems: I cannot create the offline boot cd you recommend because it downloads as a zipped ISO that I can only copy (both to my computer and to a disc) but not extract; the Offline Registry Editor site notes this as a problem but says it can't help and I should go to a manual or friends (also no help). The affected computer (Compaq XP Home) is not on a network and I can't add it to my existing one now! I cannot make a Bart PE disc because I do not have a non OEM XPSP2 disc. My other two computers run XP Pro. I have tried all other suggestions on this list that I could understand; some are just too advanced for me. I cannot be the only one with all of these problems! And I cannot lose everything on the affected computer, which isn't even mine!! Any further suggestions?
    Last edited by So tired; 2008-07-02 at 18:26. Reason: typo

Default permission to edit registry

Malloc said:

>>I believe spybot is clearing a registry entry that is needed by Windows. Try this from another computer on your network, or by using Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows to edit the registry:

To fix this remotely, open Regedit.exe on your computer, select File>Connect Network Registry
    Enter the name of the computer to fix and then browse to the location specified in the reg file: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Change the key “UserInit” to this value:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
    You must include the , at the end of the string.

This should resolve the issue. <<

I've tried several ways to do this, but I cannot get permission to read or write to my uncle's software file / registry. Any ideas?

Currently, I have his hard drive installed as an external on my PC, so that I could back up all his data. I can put it back in his PC but then cannot boot except on the BART disk, and I'm not sure how to edit his registry from BART.

Thanks in advance.

Default still struggling

I got a little further, by rebooting my computer (to disconnect uncle's hard drive). Reconnected, am able to open his registry hive HKLM in RegDatXP. Find the bad entry at Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

But...

The size of this key is set to 1, and I can't change it to contain the value
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

ARGH!

Is the 30-day free trial of RegDatXP not allowed to edit? Is there something else corrupted in his HKLM that makes the data type=1 and lenght=1? How can I update the length so I can make the change?

thanks for your ideas...