Thread: Newbie scheduling question

Default Newbie scheduling question

Hi, I've had Spybot installed on my system for a long time, and always ran it manually, when I felt like it.

Recently, it has started running automatically (about once a week) and although I've no real objection to that, I'm intrigued to know how it's doing it, and why it has started doing it!

If I go to Settings/Scheduler - there are no scheduled scans

I have Mike Lin's "Startup Control Panel" installed and looking there I cannot see any entry for Spybot in any of the normal registry places which might cause it to autorun.

My feeling is: if I can't work out how Spybot runs, how can I work out how to stop anything else running that I DON'T want?!

Hello,

Open Spybot in the advanced mode via the menu item mode, go to 'tools'->'System Startup'
    Then mark the following entry and remove it: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck

If this does not help maybe this is due to the message during the scan "It is recommended that you reboot and scan again to find items that may be uncovered only after a reboot."

Please download a new SpybotSD.exe file here.

Also download a new advcheck.dll here.

Move those two files: SpybotSD.exe and advcheck.dll to your program installation folder, and accept to replace the old ones.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks for your swift reply!

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Open Spybot in the advanced mode via the menu item mode, go to 'tools'->'System Startup'
    Then mark the following entry and remove it: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck
    That seems to give the same list of auto-run items as the Start-up control panel program I mentioned before. As far as I can see, Spybot doesn't appear on your listing either.

If this does not help maybe this is due to the message during the scan "It is recommended that you reboot and scan again to find items that may be uncovered only after a reboot."
    I haven't seen that message.

Please download a new SpybotSD.exe file here.

Also download a new advcheck.dll here.

Move those two files: SpybotSD.exe and advcheck.dll to your program installation folder, and accept to replace the old ones.
    Doing that now... Hopefully it will fix it, but I guess I won't know for another week or so! I'll keep my eye on it.

Thanks for your help!

Dragging up an old topic of mine....

The solutions above made no difference so I just learnt to live with it.

But my PC seems to be getting a bit old and clanky now and when Spybot is running a scan it seems to be taking up around 95% of CPU load (according to Sysinternals Process Explorer).

Therefore I would really like to be able to choose WHEN and HOW OFTEN Spybot runs.

Basically the problem is exactly the same as in my original post, although there are no scans showing in the scheduler, Spybot runs by itself about once a week (when it feels like it, it seems, and always when I'm trying to do something else important!)

Maybe it's relevant that when it is running a scan the "Spybot is loading" pop-up window (with the progress bar) never disappears, but is there as well as the "running scans" window.
    Also if I manually stop the scan, so I can get on with my work, the program seems to crash as the entry in the task bar never disapperas.

Finally, when searching through the registry looking for how on Earth it is running, I find HUNDREDS of entries for the word "Spybot" including dozens of entries in places like
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\com.cn\....

for
    vvvvw-spybot
    vvwvv-spybot
    www.vvvvw-spybot
    www.vvwvw-spybot

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\....
    myspybot.com
    myspybot.org

and hundreds of other variations of the name spybot (spy-bot.com, spy-bot.net, spybot2007.com, spybot-2007.com, spybot-d0wnload.com, spybotdownload.org etc. etc.

Any idea what all of those are for and if I can clean it all up?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_P2002 View Post
    Finally, when searching through the registry looking for how on Earth it is running, I find HUNDREDS of entries for the word "Spybot"....
    Ignore that bit of my question, I think I found the answer. These are "bad" sites added to the registry by Spybot itself in order to block them?

Hello,

That's correct.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot