Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 won't allow SBS&D to work?

Default Windows 10 won't allow SBS&D to work?

Just got an offer in my Systray for a free copy of Windows 10 when it comes out. While checking all of the info available in the various drop-down menu's there, I got this screenshot and I was wondering what was up with that. Haven't seen it mentioned here in a quick scan of the forums. Not really interested in a "free" copy of Windows 10 if I have to give up using SpyBot - and makes me seriously wonder WHY it wouldn't work with the new version of Windows (I don't trust M$ a lot to start with). Pete (formerly spy1)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got a good to go message on my report. Not sure why. Do you have the Spybot 1.6.2 version? I have 2.4. That's about the only thing I can think of.

Nope, I have the same version of Spybot that you do. Perhaps picking up on a leftover registry-entry from the previous version?

I don't know,but perhaps.Or maybe it isn't picking up that I have Spybot for some reason.

I can reproduce this... by right-clicking the Win10 icon, choosing "Check your upgrade status", opening the menu, and selecting "Check your PC".

Testing what exactly causes this... and which incompatibility they claim...

Update 1: a paid-for Spybot installation will remain after installing build 10130. Tested paid first because with Live Protection, it would the most likely candidate for incompatibilities. Will test free Spybot next.

Update 2: again Win 7 Ultimate, fresh installation, this time with the free Edition of Spybot. Upgrade to Windows 10 build 10130, Spybot is still there.

Still, we don't know whether Microsoft has already implemented that "uninstall and reinstall or ignore" mechanis in build 10130...
    Last edited by PepiMK; 2015-06-09 at 15:04.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Mine is still showing your PC is ready,and the you're good to go message.I have no idea why,but I'm glad my Spybot learned how to run in stealth mode somehow.

Question sealion

Quote Originally Posted by M3gaW0lf View Post
    Nope, I have the same version of Spybot that you do. Perhaps picking up on a leftover registry-entry from the previous version?
    Hi, I downloaded & installed the new (paid) subscription Spybot 2.4 on Sunday 6th June & on Monday 7th June Windows did a computer check for Windows 10 free subscription on my windows 7 OS computer & I got the same result as M3gaW0lf did... I didn't bother you with the screen grab but it was exactly the same...

What now Sherlocks???

Worst thing that could probably happen is that after a Windows 10 upgrade, you would have to reinstall Spybot (just run the license installer you got by email).

So far, an upgrade wouldn't even remove Spybot...

But we're working hard on finding out what we can do to get from the list and find out what MS will do in the final release of Windows 10, and if possible, bring out a patch through the Spybot Update before Windows 10 gets released
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

speaking of Windows 10, it will be released online to those using genuine versions of Windows 7 SP1 & Windows 8.1 on July 29.

Default The end of the road for SS&D 1.6 ?

This morning, I installed Windows 10 build 10240 over build 10162. I've had every Win10 build released to the Slow ring ever since the first Technical Preview version came out. SS&D 1.6.2.46 ran fine in every version up until this weekend, and it even survived successive installations of new builds.

After installing build 10240, though, things are very different: the Spybot desktop icon is gone, the icon in the notification area is gone, and there is no Spybot listing in the Start Menu (in either the new Metroized Start Menu or the Classic Shell Start Menu). Even the Spybot folders in C:\ProgramData and C:\Program Files (x86) are gone. It's as if Spybot had never been installed on this machine... except that it's listed under "Currently installed programs" in Control Panel. That's the only trace of it left. Go figure.

I still have the installation .EXE for Spybot 1.6.2.46 in the downloads folder. Will try and see if it installs properly.

This remarkable little program has worked for me on every version of the OS since Windows 98FE, up to and including Windows 10 build 10162. As far as I know it could even have worked on Windows 95. It would be a shame if it stopped working now, but if so it will have been a magnificent run.