Thread: Windows Explorer stopped working

Unhappy Windows Explorer stopped working

I downloaded spybot and ran it and it detected a lot of stuff, which was fixed.
    After turning on the competer the next day, spybot gave me several splash windows indicating something was detected and gave me the option to "Allow" or "deny" removal. I denied it for several days.
    Everything was working, as far as I remember.
    I did turn off serveral items in the "System Startup" list, but I do not believe I turned off anything I needed.
    Then on May 30th I allowed two items to be removed, and now my Explorer function does not work.
    I see two items in my "View Report" log on th 30th of May, which I "Allowed" to be removed, which is when my Explorer stopped working. I can not see how to restore these items.
    I use my Explorer Function a lot, and need it back.
    Can anyone help?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

gjsterp:

What Windows OS (Operating System) are you running?

What version of Spybot - Search & Destroy are you running (Spybot » Help » About)?

Quote Originally Posted by gjsterp View Post
    ... I did turn off serveral items in the "System Startup" list, but I do not believe I turned off anything I needed. …
    What did you "turn off" and when did this occur in relationship to the May 30the failure of Explorer?

By "turn off" do you mean you just disabled them by unchecking them or did you actually delete the items by highlighting them and clicking the "Delete" button.

If you just disabled the entries, have you attempted checking the entries to enable them again?

... Then on May 30th I allowed two items to be removed, and now my Explorer function does not work.
    I see two items in my "View Report" log on th 30th of May, which I "Allowed" to be removed, which is when my Explorer stopped working. I can not see how to restore these items. ...
    It would be helpful for anyone attempting to help you if posted the portion of the logs you are referring to. To do that:
    • While the log is being displayed (usually in NotePad), highlight the portion of the log that is pertinent to your observations.
    • Right click and select "Copy" (which copies the highlighted portion of the log to the Clipboard).
    • Then paste (Ctrl+V) the Clipboard to a new post in this thread.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile Windows Explorer not working

I am using Windows XP.
    From the View Report I see:

6/3/2008 11:10:58 AM Denied (based on user blacklist) value "SpybotDeletingD9294" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup user entry!
    6/3/2008 11:11:23 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "SpybotDeletingC3858" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
    6/3/2008 11:11:23 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "SpybotDeletingC5254" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
    6/6/2008 9:38:02 AM Denied (based on user blacklist) value "SpybotDeletingD9294" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup user entry!
    6/10/2008 7:49:19 PM Denied (based on user blacklist) value "SpybotDeletingD9294" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup user entry!
    6/11/2008 10:32:34 AM Denied (based on user blacklist) value "SpybotDeletingD9294" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup user entry!
    6/11/2008 10:41:30 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "wcmdmgr" (new data: "C:\WINDOWS\wt\updater\wcmdmgrl.exe -launch") added in System Startup global entry!

I included everything I did up to today, but if you look at 6/3/2008 you will see two items.
    I suspect that is when my Explore function stopped.
    When I hit CTRL-ALT=Del I see explore loaded, but I never get the window that shows the drives.

I only disabled five "Start up" programs like i-tunes, Money, etc. on May 24th, when I loaded and ran SpyBot. The computer worked fine for several days.
    I do have two computers, and did not use the XP computer much, since then.
    So, I am not positive I tried to use the Explore function after loading SpyBot, But my guess is that I did, since I use explore quite a bit to move files.
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Gjsterp:

How are you attempting to start Windows Explorer? When you attempt to start Windows Explorer are you getting any messages or it is just not starting?

You mentioned the "30th of May, … , which is when my Explorer stopped working.":

Then on May 30th I allowed two items to be removed, and now my Explorer function does not work.
    I see two items in my "View Report" log on th 30th of May, which I "Allowed" to be removed, which is when my Explorer stopped working. I can not see how to restore these items.
    The following entries appear to be from Spybot's Resident.log starting June 3rd:

6/3/2008 11:10:58 AM Denied (based on user blacklist) value "SpybotDeletingD9294" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup user entry!
    6/3/2008 11:11:23 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "SpybotDeletingC3858" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
    6/3/2008 11:11:23 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "SpybotDeletingC5254" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
    6/6/2008 9:38:02 AM Denied (based on user blacklist) value "SpybotDeletingD9294" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup user entry!
    6/10/2008 7:49:19 PM Denied (based on user blacklist) value "SpybotDeletingD9294" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup user entry!
    6/11/2008 10:32:34 AM Denied (based on user blacklist) value "SpybotDeletingD9294" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup user entry!
    All of those entries appear that you did a "Deny change" with a "Remember this decision" on the deletion of startup entries that Spybot adds on a "RunOnce" basis to help deleted objects during a "Fix selected problems" operation. The original "Deny change" with a "Remember this decision" would have occurred prior to the time you captured the log for.

If your problem ("Explorer stopped working") occurred the "30th of May" and you suspect Spybot was the cause, than it would be helpful to supply:
    1. The entries for Spybot's Resident.log from that period of time (30th of May).
    2. The Spybot Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.txt logs for everything that you did a Spybot "Fix selected problems" immediately prior to when "Explorer stopped working."

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.