Thread: NERO nmcdripserver

Default NERO nmcdripserver

Spybot detects c:\program files\common files\nero\lib\nmcdripserver.exe, being part of Nero 8, as being "Silent Guard"

Is this really spyware?
    I read somewhere on the web that this file has been examined with the conclusion that it was no spyware.
    See text below:

"Those of you who scan regularly with SpyBot S&D will find that it identifies the NMCdRipServer.exe file as the "Silent Guard" keylogger.

That is a False alarm!

If you want to be certain (in case you don't believe me), go to http://www.virustotal.com and upload the file to them. It will be scanned by the latest versions of more than a dozen AV/Malware apps. You will find the file in the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib

Every app at VirusTotal.com gives it a complete pass because it has nothing to do with the old "Silent Guard" keylogger. SpyBot S&D will need to update their pattern files. If you tell it to "fix" the problem, you will mess things up.

Thanks in advance.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I thought Nero 8 was going to be released in October 2007 and was still in Beta testing. Where did you download from?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hi hopper,

we need some more details on this. When did you do your last detection update?
    Which Spybot version do you use?
    Please post a bug report for further analysis. To do so, right click into the results field after the scan has finished and select "Save full report to file..." and attach it to your next post. Thanks in advance!
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Cool

Just to add... I am getting the same: "Spybot detects c:\program files\common files\nero\lib\nmcdripserver.exe, as being from a "Silent Guard 1.1" Product. It is also saying it is a "Keylogger Threat".

I have Nero 8 installed. I just upgraded S&D to 1.5.1.15. I have the latest detection update as of 9/26/2007.

I just ran a scan for the first time with S&D 1.5 and came up with this Flag. I did not get this error with S&D 1.4. and have had Nero for sometime.

Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin, Philadelphia, Pa, USA

Hello IchBin,

Please post a bug report for further analysis. To do so, right click into the results field after the scan has finished and select "Save full report to file..." and attach it to your next post.
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Default Bug Report

Howdy,

Not sure if this helps, but I'm getting the same thing. Attached is the file you asked for. I had to zip it to upload it.

Thanks for the report. The false positive will be fixed with the next update.

K. Tucholsky

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Hello IchBin,

Please post a bug report for further analysis. To do so, right click into the results field after the scan has finished and select "Save full report to file..." and attach it to your next post.
    Sorry but I uninstalled Spybot for the first time in 4-5 years. I just built my computer system a few Mont's ago and all has been excellent until I installed version 1.5 of Spybot. In the last few days, after installing 1.5, I have had 3-4 major OS hits. The error message I get from Windows is that their is a problem with two virus apps running. I run Norton because it came with my XP SP Pro install and will until the grace period is over for the license. .

I have never seen this with prior versions of Spybot. Because of the timing and physical data\program loses I uninstalled Spybot. I do not have 100% proof that this was the problem but will see if my system becomes stable again. I suspect it will.

BTW - My newly built system:
    Antec P182SE case, Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi/AP Mobo, Apex Iceberg 680W PU, Intel E6700 2.66GHz, Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 1066(PC2 8500), Barracuda 7200.10 500GB SATA, IDE WD40 and WD30MB, SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950PRO 512MB GDDR3 PCIe x16 HDCP, Acer 22" Widescreen LCD, LogitechTHX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1, Sony DRU-830A Dual Layer, WinXP Pro.

--
    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin, Philadelphia, Pa, USA
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-10-02 at 20:59. Reason: Removed commercial links. :)