Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Crashing or Shut Down

OK... so second time I ran my Spybot... I don't get a 'shut-down'.. but at not even one quarter of the scan being completed, it stops itself and gives me the message ! "User Abort! Scan was not completed successfully!"

I did not abort the scan.. nor did I touch any keys.

At present time - I CANNOT close the Spybot window by clicking on the "x" and will have to use the Windows Task Manager to close the program.

This gives me more reason to believe something happened during my update...
    Last edited by -JJT-; 2007-08-02 at 09:49.

Cool

Once Again...

A complete uninstall of Spybot.. and a re-install corrected the problem.

Wonder why?...

I installed Spybot and 40 seconds after it started scanning my monitor screen went black and the computer had to be re-started to get out of it. I un-installed it and re-installed it and it crashed again at the same point as before.

I wish someone would come up with a solution other than the overheating one. My late model HP desktop is in perfect condition inside and regularly has Acronis mirror image the HD using FireWire 800 with no heating problems and so it should be able to cope with more than a 40 second Spybot scan.

Default crashing into blackness

Hi! My first post here so my apologies for any etiquette violations.

After having run Spybot (v1.3 I think) without any issues, I have now had it kill two computers. The first time, it hung halfway through a scan after detecting a problem. I had to turn the computer off and when I went to restart it, it couldn't find the monitor at all. I even tried to boot off a W98 startup disk to the a: prompt and still nothing. I figured the video card died. No biggie.

However, the exact same thing just happened on a second computer. It hung after identifying a jraun problem - nothing worked, keyboard, mouse, ctrl alt delete. And on restart, I lost the monitor again. The hard drive is whirling away but doing what, I have no idea.

So I have no idea what happened and apparently I'll never know since I can't see what's going on.

datahunter,
    seriously irked

Hello datahunter.

Opening Spybot>Help>About will give you both the version and the latest detection update.

Let us know and are both machines Win98?

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I am using XP-Pro and had downloaded the correct program. However to be completely sure I again completely removed the installed one and did a fresh download and installation, but the program stalled my computer again. I had no other anti-spyware or virus program installed on this particular computer at the time. I have now un-installed it again and installed another anti-spyware program and I have had no further problems. I have never experienced another program on this computer causing it to stall and there is no doubt in my mind that the problem lies with spybot ... maybe an incompatibility with another program. I understand that it is a good program when it is working correctly and so I might give it another try in a few months time when the problem might have been sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello datahunter.

Opening Spybot>Help>About will give you both the version and the latest detection update.

Let us know and are both machines Win98?

Hi tashi!

I'm not able to check what version of Spybot I had installed since both computers were completely fried - the CPU probably got cooked. Yes, both were W98SE and they seemed happy with Spybot until I ran that last scan. They may have been about ready to die anyways and the fact that I was running Spybot a sheer coincidence but it happening on two computers has made me a bit gun shy about installing Spybot again.

Thanks for the links though. I'll have a look and if I have any useful insights, I'll drop back in here.

/datahunter

Hi there datahunter.

Quote Originally Posted by datahunter View Post
    They may have been about ready to die anyways
    98's, maybe so.....
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I had to completely uninstall Spybot...

Seems it always went back to crashing my computer.. after updates (and the "overheating", or whatever it was that you suggested, is not the problem because I have no "crashing" with any other of the spy scanner programs that I have on this computer). The Ad-Aware only crashed the computer once.. and that was also after a Spybot update (and after I ran Spybot with a crash).

Since I have uninstalled Spybot there have been NO problems with my computer or any of the other programs I have on here for viruses or spyware. (I am running a program as I am doing this posting as a matter of fact).

I am very disappointed, as I have ran the Spybot for years with NO problems whatsoever.. and it seem that after an update a couple months ago.. I have had nothing but problems with the program shutting down my computer (ie completely turning the computer OFF along with some difficulty in actually starting it again immediately.. which was NOT a normal behavior for my computer (which by the way is only two years old).

I have recommended Spybot to many people within the past few years. I am hoping that these people have not had any problems with it recently.. (I am going to check with them).

Too bad I had to uninstall it. I relied on it for many years.
    Last edited by -JJT-; 2007-08-17 at 10:15.

Just very recently when I double click on my spybot icon on my desktop to start it,,it sounds as if my computer is getting ready to shut down,,I'm using 1.4 and have all the latest updates,,this just started happening the other day,,I tried all the suggested measures I read about in another posting,,and the admins even sent me the same info via e-mail,,I uninstalled and reinsalled spybot but still get the same results,,my computer does not shut down,,it sounds like it going to,,I'm pretty computer illiterate when it comes to trying to explain things,,my cpu makes clicking sounds like it does when shutting down normally,,if anyone can understand that,,,like i said this happens when I start spybot,,,not while its actually running,,does anyone else have this problem as its completely new to me,,thanks,,btw can someone tell me what,,"TeaTimer" is,,I see it mentioned here sometimes.