Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: suggestions to spybot

thanks Zenobia for the explanation.
    You're welcome.

I think perhaps hphosts is a bit more strict in the sites they block than Spybot is.I personally would not like to see Spybot immunize or block some(some,not all)sites that hphosts does,but that is just my own personal opinion.

Glary? Hm. It did find some entries. Quite alot. CCleaner does a good job for me.

I can't recommend CCleaner unless... it was for like installation problems.

Like Greyfox said in earlier posts, CCleaner would be like a chainsaw to a child. It means like it can be dangerous if not properly handled or used.

yes, hphosts is more strict. but it block more ads than spybot, and we can submit malicious sites so they can be bloced.

where can i submit malicious sites to maybe be included in the spybot immunize? is it allowed? if not, why not?

drragostea: maybe only the registry cleaner in ccleaner is dangerous to use i dont know. i think it is a reason why microsoft and others place empty registry keys in the registry. but i dont think ccleaner is detecting such, but others do. who wants to buy tuneuputilities and such software that can possible screw up the computer? backups done by the programs wont always help if something is totally damaged. if that happens then formatting is the next and that takes a hole day to do for me. i dont need or want trackcleaners or registry cleaners. the only thing i do is not installing many software and i delete the temporary internet files from time to time so the antiviruses wont have to take so long time to scan the computer.

i only use as few software as possible, and java should never existed, it takes up space and i almost never need it other than with speed tests. i only use freeware but i dont know if freeware antiviruses is not so good as paid for ones but i are not scared for viruses and other malware but i use several protection software like spybot with immunize and bad download blocker, spywareblaster, mvps hosts, hphosts, and antivir. and hostsman wich i use because i like it and need it for using hostsfiles in the best way. i also use ad-aware but spybot ad-aware and antivir never find anything, and i have not had malware on the computer in several years. but spybot is detecting two entries from hphosts but they are probably false positives because i have asked about them in the hphosts forum.

why have antiviruses and antispyware running when they detect something maybe one time in a year, its like throwing money in the garbage if you ask me, i will never pay for something like that. i wish there wasnt so many evil people that make malware and sometimes force money from people, if it wasnt such people then we dont need security software. they probably have a lot of fun damaging computers, and spy on us, they cant have it good with themself.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    why have antiviruses and antispyware running when they detect something maybe one time in a year, its like throwing money in the garbage if you ask me, I will never pay for something like that. I wish there wasn't so many evil people that make malware and sometimes force money from people, if it wasnt for such people then we wouldn't need security software. they probably have a lot of fun damaging computers, and spy on us, they cant have it good with themself.
    People like having peace of mind thats why they install anti virus and anti spyware software. In this day and age not securing your computer is suicide, in the last six months alone my free anti-virus program as stopped 3 viruses, 1 trojan and 1 Root-kit from ruining my day.

Personally i'm glad my security software rarely finds anything.
    Sometimes It's better for a scanner to find nothing then something.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

if i visit a malicious page and antivir detect malware on the page, that doesnt mean that i were to get it on the computer if i didnt have antivir, maybe antivir is just detecting a security hole that is being exploited, but the hole is really patched from microsoft.

one thing i dont like is when antispywares detect tracking cookies, why dont they block them as spybot does?

if you must pay to block tracking cookies then i think that is stupid, they scare people by detect tracking cookies and maybe some people think that the antispyware that detects most tracking cookies is the best, maybe some people dont know that tracking cookies is not malware.

spybot does it the right way and blocks them

if some one doesnt like tracking cookies they can activate cookies only on sites they trust because no antispyware detects all tracking cookies.

i dont take the time to drag the cookies slider up and down all the day.
    if someone dont trust the sites they are visiting they can drag the internet zone security slider to high and set it to default maybe when visiting sites they trust, but that is just too much work for me, but it can be clever sometimes and even trusted sites can be hacked and try to install malware.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    yes, hphosts is more strict. but it block more ads than spybot, and we can submit malicious sites so they can be bloced.

where can i submit malicious sites to maybe be included in the spybot immunize? is it allowed? if not, why not?

drragostea: maybe only the registry cleaner in ccleaner is dangerous to use i dont know. i think it is a reason why microsoft and others place empty registry keys in the registry. but i dont think ccleaner is detecting such, but others do. who wants to buy tuneuputilities and such software that can possible screw up the computer? backups done by the programs wont always help if something is totally damaged. if that happens then formatting is the next and that takes a hole day to do for me. i dont need or want trackcleaners or registry cleaners. the only thing i do is not installing many software and i delete the temporary internet files from time to time so the antiviruses wont have to take so long time to scan the computer.

i only use as few software as possible, and java should never existed, it takes up space and i almost never need it other than with speed tests. i only use freeware but i dont know if freeware antiviruses is not so good as paid for ones but i are not scared for viruses and other malware but i use several protection software like spybot with immunize and bad download blocker, spywareblaster, mvps hosts, hphosts, and antivir. and hostsman wich i use because i like it and need it for using hostsfiles in the best way. i also use ad-aware but spybot ad-aware and antivir never find anything, and i have not had malware on the computer in several years. but spybot is detecting two entries from hphosts but they are probably false positives because i have asked about them in the hphosts forum.

why have antiviruses and antispyware running when they detect something maybe one time in a year, its like throwing money in the garbage if you ask me, i will never pay for something like that. i wish there wasnt so many evil people that make malware and sometimes force money from people, if it wasnt such people then we dont need security software. they probably have a lot of fun damaging computers, and spy on us, they cant have it good with themself.
    I've never said anything about using CCleaner. I wouldn't bother with Glary and TuneUpUtilities. Bad thing is that back then before I joined this forum, I used to go OD on updates. Thinking that this "TuneUpUtility" optimizer might boost my PC, I tried it. It told me that "explorer.exe" was using too much memory and was not necessary. -.- I killed it, blind that explorer.exe was my desktop.

I don't really see how people purchase these software, thinking that they'll boost the speed.

Malware creators love making rogue software, to create panick to the victim, and steal sensitive information.

Tracking cookies are still in open debate. One side says that it's malicious, while others say it's not. In my personal opinion, I don't really think it's malicious, because it's just a file in your browser which can be cleaned with ease. However, some cookies like "tribalfusion" and "ad.yieldmanager" track your surf behavior. While this happens, other software or sites sell your email if you submit it, making it a great moment to make $$$ while spambots farm on your email. tribalfusion, burstmedia, blackcore, cpxinteractive, etc. are mostly caught by visiting... hm sites such as cheatcc(.)com or Neopets for example.

Quite some stuff these days. In 2002, malicious software and drive-by-downloads were a joke!

I don't see why you don't need Java. Well, I have to admit, not really a lot of programs and software run Java. Some do like online scanners like Housecall.
    It doesn't take up memory/computer resources unless you are running it's updater. And trust me there won't be an update in 3 months or so. Java usually takes up around 120MB or so of drive space.

In my arsenal, I simply use avast! 4, SAS, Spybot-SD, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol +, and Comodo Pro.

For uninstallers I use REVO. Browsers are FF3 and IE7. I tested Safari and Opera 9.5... it was junk. -.-

i thought you and terminator was the same person, because you both have a penguin picture.

Quite some stuff these days. In 2002, malicious software and drive-by-downloads were a joke!

in 2003 i dont think the windows firewall and microsoft updates was on by default, and i was going to warez sites and other bad sites and got lots of malware and a dialer, i finally got rid of the dialer and i went crazy and deleted all parts of the dialer i found, i was deleting it manually, but i dont recommend anybody deleting what they think are the malware manually because it may be files needed by the operating system.

i use antivir, and has stopped using avg because of linkscanner or what it is called, because it slowed down my google searches.

i dont trust superantispyware, but maybe without a reason and is not using it, spybot seems it is made from the heart (it is good i mean) and not for making money, i have thought about donating to spybot but i am not sure how i do it.

i had kazaa and didnt now it had included malware, but i saw something kalled gain on my computer wich was gator, and then someone downloaded ad-aware on my computer and it found lots of malware, then i visited a site called spywareinfo and learned a lot about malware from there, and there i found spybot and spywareblaster i think. and learned about the hostsfile from other sites, and in this year 2008 i think, i joined my first security forum and that was hphosts forum and made a thread there about spybot and the hostsfile. it is here if someone is interested: http://forum.hosts-file.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=430

is revo a point to have for people when not installing and uninstalling software all the time? i see it has other features too.

other firewalls than windows firewall is annoying i think, and windows firewall has never let anything in on my computer, but it lets everything go out.

Talking When will be SpyBot S&D completely compatible with Windows Vista ?

When will be SpyBot S&D completely compatible with Windows Vista ?

i thought it was fully compatible with vista, but i dont have vista so i dont know.

Lightbulb

It is completely compatible with Vista and has been since 1.5.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!