Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 1.6, Release Candidate 2

Default Spybot-S&D 1.6, Release Candidate 2

Download: link removed since 1.6 is public now

Since we decided to release on Monday, not tomorrow, we did upload another RC that includes the fixes from the RC 1 thread problems, like sped up Firefox 3 support, SDFiles.exe now auto-registering, proper order of white & blacklists in TeaTimer, fixed usage tracks cookie fixing for FF3, fixed another thing related to delzip179.dll. Hope I'll get some update on the translations issue from Meik tomorrow, which seems to be the thing left right now (sorry Asus ).
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

PepiMK:

Although I have not run into any problems with any of the Spybot 1.6 betas nor with Spybot 1.6 RC1, I do miss a MD5 hash value to verify the download before attempting an installation.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

RC 2 seems to be running nicely, deleted the FF3 usage tracks properly and scan speed is pretty good, just under 3 mins to scan my system.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    @ZerO Voltage: I checked the order in which lists are tested:
    1. User lists
    2. LASSH lists
    3. File scanner
    4. Security app whitelist
    The problem here was that #2 was indeed not honoring previous decision from #1. Updating that
    Excellent! Thanks as always!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosenfeld View Post
    ...question if you select multiple .txt files, right click, click edit: on my system all the selected files open rapidly one after the other. I haven't installed the scan with S&D context menu item, so can't test that.
    Don't worry, if that's the way EDIT behaves then the new Spybot-S&D context menu entry will also work when selecting multiple files. It's all the same issue - some weird problem with Explorer. If one works the other always will and if one doesn't then the other always won't.

@PepiMK: Any chance you've figured out some resolution for this multiple file selection problem? I realize it's not Spybot-S&D's fault and you therefore have been more focused on getting 1.6 finalized, but this is really bugging me. I wouldn't mind so much if it was my test systems, but this is happening on my primaries - which is where I really need the functionality. Or if you can't resolve the OS level glitch, is there perhaps some alternative method you can implement that will bypass the problem (like NOD32, WinRAR, WinZip, etc. do)? Thanks!

Default Report inTechnical Language

Bis repetita placent

Translation: "I installed and ran RC2. It worked so well that it only took approximately one minute to scan my Firefox 3 bookmarks."

(Actually, the Latin means `The things that please are those that are asked for again and again'. It is a quote from Horace. I asked for an improvement in the FF 3 scanning, and definitely received that.)

Good thing you went with another RC...

I've found a rather nasty TeaTimer problem that wasn't present in previous releases.

Ever since first installing Spybot-S&D I have been using a shortcut to:

"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe"

so that I can easily restart TeaTimer after I close it (which I must do from time to time).

But with RC2, it no longer works. TeaTimer will exit, but will not restart.

I wanted to test if the b/w-list settings were being saved in this release, so I clicked on the TeaTimer object, unselected "Use source whitelists", exited, and clicked the icon I created to restart it. Instead of restarting, it just failed and I got one of those Microsoft error report popups followed by an application error popup.

Having done further analysis, I also now know that when exiting TeaTimer, the TeaTimer.exe process goes on a CPU rampage. The system tray icon does close immediately, but the process stays loaded and suddenly starts taking up 99% CPU utilization. After a minute or so it finally terminates and the CPU utilization returns to normal.

If I then try to restart TeaTimer, I get a Microsoft Error Report popup with the following details:

The tech info report is attached (teatimer.txt inside teatimer.zip since it was too large to attach directly) if you need it.

Dismissing the error report then results in the following application error:

And the only way I can restart TeaTimer after exiting it is to reboot.

FYI, I have reproduced this on multiple XP SP3 systems.

I know for certain this issue was not present in beta 1 and 2, but I can't remember if I tried this with RC1 or not.

And just for the record, the TeaTimer b/w-list settings are still not saving... Any chance this can be implemented before the final?

Thanks!

Question

Does this error happen if you turn The Tea Timer on and off via the "Resident" Menu or is only via the shortcut?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Does this error happen if you turn The Tea Timer on and off via the "Resident" Menu or is only via the shortcut?
    Duh. Sorry. Should have included that detail...

No, that works fine. When I first unselect "Resident protection" I do see a TeaTimer.exe CPU jump - but it is very brief in comparison (maybe 5-10 seconds). It does work fine though, and I can then re-enable it again without any issues (or CPU jumps).

The only way the problem occurs is if you fully exit TeaTimer - meaning that you select "Exit Spybot-S&D Resident" from the menu and then later try to restart it again.

And again, this has not be true of the other beta releases or the 1.5 code. It has always worked fine before.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0 Voltage View Post
    Duh. Sorry. Should have included that detail...
    No problem everyone forgets things sometimes.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!