Thread: Are these false positives!?

Default Are these false positives!?

I have been doing weekly scans with spybot S&D (2.0.12.0) for approximately six months (potentially longer) and have been seeing the same problems found from scans. The first time I saw these I did some Google searches and found others reporting similar findings so ignored them. Seeing as they have continued (if they were false positives surely they would have been fixed with an update?) I came to this forum hoping for some advice on how to proceed. The results in question can be seen in the attached screenshot. Any and all help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The entries showing error look like folders, see if they exists, if they do they possibly contain files that are in use. This could prevent removal of the folders.
    In those cases try deleting these folders manually.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Thanks for your reply, I have looked at the results and noticed the location starts E:. I no longer have an E drive, it used to be the letter of a second hard drive but a while back I had to reinstall windows and the HDD in question was assigned the letter D. How do you suggest I proceed?

Please try the following:
    If your Windows Explorer is not set to display hidden files and folders please change it to do so:
    • open the Windows control panel
    • select Folder options
    • switch to the view tab
    • look for the settings for hidden files and folders

Now it is possible to see the folder c:\ProgramData, there you will find a folder Spybot - Search & Destroy. Open this folder and look for another subfolder named Cleaning. Rename the folder Cleaning to old_Cleaning.
    Now do a rescan with Spybot S&D and see if the error entries on drive E: still occur in the result.

Spybot S&D Downloads

Quote Originally Posted by Yodama View Post
    Please try the following:
    If your Windows Explorer is not set to display hidden files and folders please change it to do so:
    • open the Windows control panel
    • select Folder options
    • switch to the view tab
    • look for the settings for hidden files and folders

Now it is possible to see the folder c:\ProgramData, there you will find a folder Spybot - Search & Destroy. Open this folder and look for another subfolder named Cleaning. Rename the folder Cleaning to old_Cleaning.
    Now do a rescan with Spybot S&D and see if the error entries on drive E: still occur in the result.
    I have just tried this but I get the same results as displayed in my original screenshot

Default Solved!

I deleted the two sub folders; cleaning_old (the original that I renamed) and I also deleted the newly created cleaning folder. This has solved the issue so when I scan no false positives, thanks.

Thank you for the feedback.

Spybot S&D Downloads