Thread: Stuck in Windows loop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

@SlmJon
    Did you tried to repair your Windows XP system? How far have you come with "Method 2". Any error messages? I will stay here a few hours so that we can go through this step by step if neccessary.

@rvnmaniac

You are using Windows XP, right?

@rvnmaniac

Method 4:

This Method can be used in conjunction with Method 2 to restore login. The main issue with Method 2 is that it does not work if the NTFS file system is flagged as "dirty". Method 4 will remove this:
    This option is valid for both Windows 2000 and Windows XP, only paths differ on both systems.

Requirements:

* NTFS capable boot disk like NTFS4Dos
    * Offline Rcovery tool from Method 2
    * both tools can be found on the Ultimate Boot CD: Filesystem tools - NTFS Tools

Overview of steps:

1. Start NTFS4Dos
    2. Copy and Backup of Software registry key (note: it is possible to end here)
    3. reboot and shut down properly
    4. restore latest Software registry key
    5. reboot directly to bootcd and apply method 2

Detailed description:

1. Start NTFS4Dos
    If you start NTFS4Dos from the Ultimate BootCD (~115 MB download will require CD) you will find it in Filesystem Tools - NTFS Tools
    Once started you will be required to enter "yes" to confirm that you use it for personal use only.

NTFS4Dos is owned by Avira and can also be downloaded from Aviras (~1.2 MB download, will require floppy disk)website.

2. Copy and Backup of Software registry key
    What you need to do here is to backup the current software registry key and copy the backup software registry key.
    Enter the lines in code according to your OS.
    Just follow the above steps and then we have to change something because you already have made the backups.

Windows XP:
    Code:
    cd c:\Winnt\system32\config                     (enter)
    copy c:\Windows\repair\software software   (enter)
    copy c:\Windows\repair\default default        (enter)
    copy c:\Windows\repair\sam sam                (enter)
    copy c:\Windows\repair\system system        (enter)
    copy c:\Windows\repair\software software    (enter)
    copy c:\Windows\repair\security security      (enter)
    The above commands should copy the default registry from the day you have installed your Windows in the current registry. After that you should be able to boot in Windows safe mode again. From there you can either use the Windows restore point feature or proceed with editing the damage registry manually. If you want to use the second way then please tell me so that I can guide you if you like.

@SlmJon

So this was displayed:
    Disk /dev/sda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
    Have you then entered "1" and confirmed it with (enter)?

After that, "Step 2" should be displayed with the default directory:
    Code:
    [Windows/system32/config]
    If yes, just hit the "enter" key.

Or wasn't there a default directory? Has it change to "Step 2" after finishing "Step 1"?

Yes, that's what was displayed. There wasn't a "1" to select but I did enter "1" anyway. It just comes back like I didn't enter anything.

Quote Originally Posted by chi-va View Post
    @SlmJon

So this was displayed:

Have you then entered "1" and confirmed it with (enter)?

After that, "Step 2" should be displayed with the default directory:
    Code:
    [Windows/system32/config]
    If yes, just hit the "enter" key.

Or wasn't there a default directory? Has it change to "Step 2" after finishing "Step 1"?

@SlmJon

This is bad. So this:

Candidate Windows partitions found:
    was empty, right? This means that the boot sector couldn't be found and you won't be able to use this method as well. Please tell me what you have done until now because I need to know what could have damage the boot sector. Are you sure that you can still boot Windows except of the login?

Yes, it's empty.

I'm guessing Windows is still there because it will boot to login then logout. If I leave it sitting at the login screen it goes to the screensaver. If I leave it too long on the DOS screen, it also goes to screensaver. Windows must be doing something?????

What I've done is:

Tried to run this #2:
    Somewhere in the instructions, it said to change the boot order to use the CD. I had been using F12 to pick boot from CD. I went into setup and changed the boot order to CD first. That was OK except it warned that changing the order might change the drive letters so I changed it back & continued using F12 to boot from CD.

I tried to use Fix-It Utilities:
    Booted from CD, the opening screen came up & I chose Recovery Commander. It came up with an empty directory, telling me to choose which Windows partition I wanted to use. There were none to choose.

That's all I've done. I can't get anywhere to try anything else.

I haven't started planning suicide yet since the login screen, desktop picture, screensaver seem to be working. They're controlled by Windows, right??

@SlmJon

This is bad. So this:

was empty, right? This means that the boot sector couldn't be found and you won't be able to use this method as well. Please tell me what you have done until now because I need to know what could have damage the boot sector. Are you sure that you can still boot Windows except of the login?

@rvnmaniac

You are using Windows XP, right?
    Yes Windows XP

When I boot to the CD, it goes through it's initial stuff then stops asking for "select partition by number". The above "list" says:
    Disks:
    Disk /dev/sda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes

Candidate Windows partitions found:

Then there's nothing there....the next thing is "Please select...."

@SlmJon
    Did you tried to repair your Windows XP system? How far have you come with "Method 2". Any error messages? I will stay here a few hours so that we can go through this step by step if neccessary.