Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't boot after v1.5.2 installation

Default Can't boot after v1.5.2 installation

I did a cursory look at the forum and didn't see this problem. I installed v1.5.2 and did the requested reboot. Now I can't log in to my system. I click on my username and type in my password, and the system logs me in and then immediately logs me out. This happens repeatedly. I have tried virtually all boot modes under the f8 menu: safe mode, debugging mode, everything. (OS is XP Pro, and I think it is completely updated--it updates automatically). The behavior is always the same for either my regular account or the admin account. It logs in and immediately logs out. Any suggestions? I REALLY don't want to reinstall the OS.

I'm assuming you are typing from another user's computer.

Are you sure you downloaded from this site?:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Did you have any other versions of Spybot-SD on your computer prior to installing? Any running programs? Any programs that may have conflict, an AV (anti-virus)? Do you by any change have Trend Micro's products?

I'm was thinking about a System RESTORE, until you said you couldn't boot .

Default Same Problem - Can't log in on start-up

I am having the exact same problem as "round midnight". I updated Spybot to 1.5.2 last night from an old version icon on my desktop. What am I supposed to do to correct the problem? I am a computer user not installer or tech person so my knowledge is very limited. I thought I was doing a good thing yesterday by updating my virus scans - wrong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by massvette View Post
    I am having the exact same problem as "round midnight". I updated Spybot to 1.5.2 last night from an old version icon on my desktop. What am I supposed to do to correct the problem? I am a computer user not installer or tech person so my knowledge is very limited. I thought I was doing a good thing yesterday by updating my virus scans - wrong!!!
    I don't see how updated your AV database can result in this. What is your AV (anti-virus)? How about your OS?

You said "old version icon". What is devil is that? An update software? Were there any previous versions of Spybot on your computer prior to upgrading. If so, did you uninstall it first?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

round_midnight:

Have you attempted any corrective action such as doing a System Restore to a Restore Point immediately prior to the failure (installation of Spybot)? If not I suggest that you attempt that.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Log In Problem

I'm having the same problem on my home PC and work laptop, both running XP. The unit boots up fine, after I log in it will come up with saving settings and logs me back out. I did save a restore point with spybot search & destroy
    How can I get get it to run without being able to log in?
    I tried booting up everyway possible, no luck.
    Please help!!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

SimonSays:

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSays View Post
    ... I tried booting up everyway possible, no luck. ...
    Booting into Safe Mode, did you try?
    1. Last Known Good Configuration (only can be tried once).
    2. Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
      • If you able to get the Command Prompt, type:
        • %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I believe spybot is clearing a registry entry that is needed by Windows. Try this from another computer on your network, or by using Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows to edit the registry:

To fix this remotely, open Regedit.exe on your computer, select File>Connect Network Registry
    Enter the name of the computer to fix and then browse to the location specified in the reg file: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Change the key “UserInit” to this value:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
    You must include the , at the end of the string.

This should resolve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Malloc View Post
    I believe spybot is clearing a registry entry that is needed by Windows. Try this from another computer on your network, or by using Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows to edit the registry:

To fix this remotely, open Regedit.exe on your computer, select File>Connect Network Registry
    Enter the name of the computer to fix and then browse to the location specified in the reg file: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Change the key “UserInit” to this value:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
    You must include the , at the end of the string.

This should resolve the issue.

I think your right, is there any other way to edit the registry?

Thanks for your Help.
    Simon

I've had this happen on 6 computers so far, but I have them on the network so I can remove registry edit though them.

Here are some other tools that have offline registry edits:

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm
    http://ubcd4win.com/index.htm