Thread: Cannot add address to Hosts File list

Question Cannot add address to Hosts File list

Hello:

I would like to add an address to the host file list , so that it is blocked that way.

I tried adding the Spybot list to it from Tools-->Hosts File, but I get a reading that:
    Spybot cannot create file because it can't find the path specified by:

\%system root%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

However, I can easily locate that address by going to:

Windows\System 32\drivers\etc\hosts

Questions:

1) Why am I getting that reading from Spybot?

2) Is it necessary to enable Teatimer and/or Resident SD Helper for this to work?
    I currently do not have either of these enabled. I'm merely interested in blocking one specific site.

Thanks in advance:

-Eliuri

Windows XP Professional Edition SP2
    Spybot SD 1.4
    IE7
    Firefox 2.0

Hello,

The feature to remove/add only one entry in the list will be available in the next release of Spybot - Search and Destroy. Right now, you can only uninstall the whole list. Run Spybot - Search and Destroy and switch to the 'Advanced mode' via the menu bar item 'Mode'. In the left bar select 'Tools' --> 'hosts list'. Please select 'Remove Spybot - Search and Destroy hosts list' in the right window. You can manually add/remove some entries. Therefore you have to edit the hosts-file with e.g. notepad (Close all browser pages before editing). The file is named 'hosts' without any extension. Search for the entries you do not want to block and delete them or add a new page to block. Where the hosts file is located depends on your Windows version...
    Windows 2000/XP/NT: C:*your windows folder*system32driversetc
    Windows 95/98: C:windowshosts After that save the file and start your browser again.

We also update the hosts list from time to time but not in a regular sequence.
    You don't have to remove the old list if you like to insert the new list.

If you like to learn more about the hosts file then please take a look here:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

You do not have to enable either TeaTimer or the Resident SD Helper to add Spybot's HOSTS File.

To simulate the problem that you encountered I renamed this file:
    • C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

To:
    • C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.txt

When I attempted to do an "Add Spybot-S&D hosts list" I received the following message (note the messages is incorrect because it indicates a wrong path):

Code:
    Error

Cannot create file "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search _
    Destroy\%SystemRoot%\System32\dnvers\etc\hosts". The system cannot find the path specified

OK
    Although you indicate that you have a "WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" file, I suspect that you do not. The HOSTS file should not have any extension (i.e. .txt etc.). The easiest way to tell is to go into Windows explorer > Tools > Folder Options… > click on the View tab > uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" > click Apply then click OK. The file extensions will now be displayed with the file names. If you find that your HOSTS file has an extension, rename it by eliminating the file extension.

Quote Originally Posted by eliuri View Post

I would like to add an address to the host file list , so that it is blocked that way.

I'm merely interested in blocking one specific site.
    Using Spybot's host file is not the way to do that. Spybot will currently add 2591 entries to your HOSTS file and those entries may not include the entry you want. You can delete HOSTS file entries using Spybot > Tools > Hosts File but to the best of my knowledge you can not add entries.

After you figure out what is wrong with your current HOSTS file open it with Notepad. Add the entry you want. Note that the following entry is required in the HOSTS file:

Code:
    127.0.0.1	localhost
    When you edit the HOSTS file with Notepad, the easiest way to make sure it is not saved with an extension is to do a SaveAs… and type "hosts" (with the quotes) in the File Name. The quotes will keep Notepad from adding an extension to the file name.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Question

Hi there MD USA:

Thanks for your response.

At the "etc" folder, I see the following:

(1) hosts
    iCalendar File
    1KB

This file has a Calendar icon. It might be some little add-on that I installed to coordinate Google Calendar with MS Outlook 2003, though I cant locate this in my Program Files..It has today's date on it, which leads me to assume that it's functioning. It has no extension, but it does have that calendar icon

(2) hosts.bak

(3) hosts.msn

(4) Imhosts
    SAM file

There are several other files in that etc folder as well, such as "networks file" , but these don't have the word "hosts" in their file names.

Not sure if there is some problem with the hosts file.

Kindly advise me further.

Thanks in advance:

-Eliuri

Question correction of previous post

Hi again, MD USA:

I had forgotten to uncheck: "Hide extension for known files" as you suggested.

I just did so and:

Here are the 7 files now found at the "Etc" folder:

===============

hosts.ics
    iCalendar

[This is the file with that Calendar icon. Other files there have
    icons]

================

hosts.msn
    MSN file

================

networks
    File

=================
    Imhosts.sam
    SAM File

================
    protocol
    File

==============

services
    File

==============
    hosts.BAK
    BAK file

===============

My apologies for the earlier confusion.

How would you recommend I correct this?

-Eliuri

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

eliuri:

Do you have a C:I386 folder?

If so, there should be a sample HOSTS file in it. Look for C:I386\HOSTS and copy it into C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.

If not, I have attached one. Extract the contents of the HOSTS.zip file into C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

HostsMan is a great hosts file manger.

http://hostsman.abelhadigital.com/

It will update itself from within the program to but it is not a auto update but just click check for updates and it checks on hosts files that you add or the default ones listed that you can pick from are...
    hphosts
    http://hphosts.mysteryfcm.co.uk/download/hosts.zip

MVPS Hosts
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.zip

Mike's Ad Blocking Hosts
    http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts

It scan hosts for errors, duplicates and possible hijacks too so using more then one hosts file or wanting to add sites to the list on your own it checks so you can not have duplicates.

Need help with a hosts file you can post over here.
    Official hpHosts support forum
    Community Hosts File Management and Support
    http://hphosts.mysteryfcm.co.uk/forum/index.php
    Last edited by hewee; 2006-11-30 at 08:43.