Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot perform a scan or Update with spybot

Default Cannot perform a scan or Update with spybot

I have installed the latest spybot version 2.1 and i cannot perform a scan or even update. The start centre opens and it says in the upper right hand corner:
    Internet protection: off
    Update service stopped.

I go to the services.msc and i see 3 spybot services. it says the Securtiy center service is started however the other 2. Scanner service and updating service have not. So i right click on both of these and click start. Each bring up a progress bar and gets abour half way through and freezes for about 30/40s and comes up with the following error:

Windows could not start the Spybot-S&D 2 Scanner Service service on Local Computer.

Error 1053: The service did not respone to the start or control request on a timely fashion.

I have restarted my computer serveral times, unistalled spybot, redownloaded spybot but i am still unable to get this to function.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: i am currently running Windows 7 64 Bit Ulimate
    Last edited by Tellice; 2013-05-24 at 16:48.

Try getting updates manually.Open Spybot-S&D Start Center,checkmark Advanced User Mode,rightclick Update and run as Admin,then click Update in the upper left corner.You should be able to scan without the scanner service running.

Windows could not start the Spybot-S&D 2 Scanner Service service on Local Computer.

Error 1053: The service did not respone to the start or control request on a timely fashion.
    That's a timeout error.I think it's generally about 30 seconds before that error appears,if the service doesn't start.
    Try rightclicking Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service and selecting Properties.Is the service set as Automatic,is the Path to Executable listed as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDUpdSvc.exe",and in the Log On tab what is "Log On as" set to?
    And what is listed when you rightclick Spybot-S&D 2 Scanner Service,is it Automatic,is the Path to executable listed as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDFSSvc.exe",and in the Log On tab what is "Log On as" set to?

Are you familiar with registry editing?

Quote Originally Posted by Tellice View Post
    I have installed the latest spybot version 2.1 and i cannot perform a scan or even update. The start centre opens and it says in the upper right hand corner:
    Internet protection: off
    Update service stopped.

I go to the services.msc and i see 3 spybot services. it says the Securtiy center service is started however the other 2. Scanner service and updating service have not. So i right click on both of these and click start. Each bring up a progress bar and gets abour half way through and freezes for about 30/40s and comes up with the following error:

Have you installed Spybot 2.1 freshly or did you a migration (install Spybot 2.1 over an existing Version)?

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום

I cannot run a scan or a update manually. My services are all setup corretly and when i try and start them manually thats when i get that error.

I first did an update from 2.0 and then i uninstalled it completly and reinstalled stright to 2.1

Edit: Both services are set to: Log on as: Local System Account and Automatic
    I am familiar with editing the registry
    Last edited by Tellice; 2013-05-28 at 12:21.

Hello,

Did you open the Settings with a right click and choose "run as administrator"?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Did you open the Settings with a right click and choose "run as administrator"?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Yes i have right click run as adimistrator and also ran the whole lot of spybot as adminstrator and then right click run as adminsitrator and still not functing,

I couldn't verify for absolute certain if this would work on Windows 7 or not,but you can try it if you feel okay about it.It'll increase the timeout for Services to about 3 minutes.If the 2 services are just slow starting,it gives them more time,but if the services aren't starting for an underlying reason,it won't work.

Open Start,type regedit,rightclick and run as admin.
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control,and see if ServicesPipeTimeout is listed.If it is there doubleclick it and change the Value data to 2bf20 and under Base,make sure Hexidecimal is selected,then click OK.
    If ServicesPipeTimeout isn't listed,rightclick and select New Dword value,name it ServicesPipeTimeout,then doubleclick it and put in the 2bf20 and under Base,make sure Hexidecimal is selected,then click OK.
    Then Reboot before trying to start the Spybot services.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2013-05-29 at 02:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    I couldn't verify for absolute certain if this would work on Windows 7 or not,but you can try it if you feel okay about it.It'll increase the timeout for Services to about 3 minutes.If the 2 services are just slow starting,it gives them more time,but if the services aren't starting for an underlying reason,it won't work.

Open Start,type regedit,rightclick and run as admin.
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control,and see if ServicesPipeTimeout is listed.If it is there doubleclick it and change the Value data to 2bf20 and under Base,make sure Hexidecimal is selected,then click OK.
    If ServicesPipeTimeout isn't listed,rightclick and select New Dword value,name it ServicesPipeTimeout,then doubleclick it and put in the 2bf20 and under Base,make sure Hexidecimal is selected,then click OK.
    Then Reboot before trying to start the Spybot services.
    Thank you that has worked, both services are now running.

However, when i come to update it says i have no netowkr Connection but i have i am using a proxy server (have no choice gotta use it) i have setup in Spybot to use an proxy and also in control panel -> internet options and still no luck! any ideas?

You're welcome.

Oh,I'm hopeless whenever it comes to setting up Proxies and Internet Connections,etc.I lucked out there,I didn't need to set anything up for myself.
    You can set up Spybot to use your proxy,did you try it that way?
    It's at Spybot-S&D Start Center,Settings,Internet Protection.You can checkmark Use Own Proxy,then set it up there,and if you want to,it looks like you can also use the Spybot proxy,and it should use your proxy server,then click Apply and OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    You're welcome.

Oh,I'm hopeless whenever it comes to setting up Proxies and Internet Connections,etc.I lucked out there,I didn't need to set anything up for myself.
    You can set up Spybot to use your proxy,did you try it that way?
    It's at Spybot-S&D Start Center,Settings,Internet Protection.You can checkmark Use Own Proxy,then set it up there,and if you want to,it looks like you can also use the Spybot proxy,and it should use your proxy server,then click Apply and OK.
    I have had a proxy setup since Spybot 1.6.2, it worked on 1.6.2 and 2.0 but on 2.1 it dosnt. When i go to update it says:

No internet connection avaiable! Please check your connection settings.

When i have got a internet connection. i am using atm