Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Full Scan Doesn't End

Here's another small tool for testing and clearing the IE cache, not yet the hard way: Trac3918ZlobCodecFreeze.exe. It should print an error code unique to affected systems (similar to the log created by SDSettings, stage 4), and can try to purge the cache.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Here's another small tool for testing and clearing the IE cache, not yet the hard way: Trac3918ZlobCodecFreeze.exe. It should print an error code unique to affected systems (similar to the log created by SDSettings, stage 4), and can try to purge the cache.
    Okay, I ran this and Clicked on "Test Caches" and then "Purge Caches." Here is the Log:

[i] IE cache path: C:\Users\Ronald Boyd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\
    [i] IE cookies path: C:\Users\Ronald Boyd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\
    [i] IE history path: C:\Users\Ronald Boyd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\
    [+] IE cache read with handled outer issue:
    [i] 0x00000002 ( 2) The system cannot find the file specified
    [i] IE cache path: C:\Users\Ronald Boyd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\
    [i] IE cookies path: C:\Users\Ronald Boyd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\
    [i] IE history path: C:\Users\Ronald Boyd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\
    [i] Cache: 686
    [i] Cookies: 114
    [i] History: 3924
    [i] IE cache path: \
    [i] IE cookies path: \
    [i] IE history path: \
    [i] Cache: 0
    [i] Cookies: 0
    [i] History: 0

[i] After purging...
    [i] After purging...

I will now run SpyBot System Scan and report back.

Ron

Many thanks for the fast testing!

If this didn't solve the freeze (looks like that from the log), does clearing the log like described in the earlier external link help?

Many thanks for the fast testing!

If this didn't solve the freeze (looks like that from the log), does clearing the log like described in the earlier external link help?
    I ran the earlier Link just prior to running the one with the log. I have to run some errands but the Scan will take some time anyway so it will run while I'm away from my desk. (It shows Estimated Time Left as 47 minutes but that usually is way underestimated.)

Okay, no joy. For starters, I don't know if I mentioned it but I have two machines with the same problem. I went through the whole protocol with both machines. and this is what occurred:

Both machines seemed to be stuck after several (numerous) hours:

Machine #1 (the one I have been speaking of):

Product: Win32.qhost.ahnj
    File: C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-I-5-21-1064084032\2003121598-1000\$RD73W4J.htm

Machine #2:

Product: Zlob.ZIP.ZipCodeec.Download Files...
    File: C:\users\<user name>\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\NetCache\Low\IE\1CY2KQ0H\Search[1].htm

I did try with Machine #1 a couple times -- booting before the second try -- same exact result.

What else can I do?

Default Not Just I.E

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I don't use I.E. only Firefox and I am having the same issue as has been described in many posts, so the work around may not be applicable to other browser users.

Default Re: Not Just I.E.

Perhaps Spybot can look at this link for some ideas. It seems that some one has a solution " http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...nloaded-files/

@Silverghost: You don't bear bad news
    Internet Explorer is simply part of every Windows system, and is used in the background by so many programs.
    If you want, try this tool and it will most likely list you a non-empty Internet Explorer cache, as well as a "handled outer issue" as in RonBoyd0174s report

@RonBoyd0174: sorry for not being more specific. I meant the cache cleaning described here, both variants.

I'll that I have a test version of the scanning engine available asap as well to see if the intended fix will do.

Here is the updated scan engine (this is a test release). Extract and overwrite existing SDScanLibrary.dll in Spybot folder.

Here is the updated scan engine (this is a test release). Extract and overwrite existing SDScanLibrary.dll in Spybot folder.
    Full disclosure: I am, also, working with Bjorn at Team Spybot. I came across his e-mail with this same Link before I seen this post. Here is my response to him:

Bjorn,

Interesting result. I ran it on both machines. Both Scans completed as expected (hoped for). However, when I clicked on the “Fix selected” button, the System Scan window froze (Not Responding). (FWIW, only that window was frozen – I could use all other aspects of the machine… including starting and stopping Spybot Start Center). I waited two hours for one of the machines to “unfreeze” (while the other machine was still scanning) before forcing the window to close. I restarted the System Scan option and was told that “Your computer has been scanned today at 01:27 o’clock.” (I am still waiting for this second scan to complete but thought I should report as a soon as possible.)

I had left checked all of the items found when I clicked on the “Fix selected” button on this machine.

After the other machine completed the Scan (same results as above), I clicked on the “Fix selected” button with the same “frozen” result. On this machine, I had unchecked the following before clicking the “Fix” button:

Unchecked the “Typed URL List”
    Unchecked all – Windows Explorer, Cookie, Cache, and History.

I believe we are getting very close to a solution.

Ron