Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Runtime error 217 at 500E8338

My operating system was showing signs of progressive failure.
    Sorry to hear you reformatted,but at least you get to start anew.By coincidence,my computer became almost unusable between last night and today,it was touch and go for a while,so trust me,I'm knowing what it feels like.

I have created a problem with my SBS&D license, however. When I was uninstalling/reinstalling (before the OS reload) I was asked whether to use the existing license or a new one and I selected new one. Now I receive a notification that SBS&D is installed on 3 computers when my license is only for two. When re installing SBS&D after my OS reload, I was not asked the new license/existing license question. I in fact have SBS&D installed only on two computers. How do I resolve?
    I'm not sure on that one,since I've never had the notification.So,I'm going to refer you to Spybot support.There are support forms here:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/support/

I began getting the "Runtime error 217 at 500e8338" as soon as I installed the Home/Virus "upgrade"...

The problem disappeared as soon as I Uninstalled the upgrade - until Spybot gets their act together to eliminate these errors with the Home/Virus version, guess I'll be going back to the free version - IT was always reliable...

Quote Originally Posted by Garyk7gld View Post
    I began getting the "Runtime error 217 at 500e8338" as soon as I installed the Home/Virus "upgrade"...

The problem disappeared as soon as I Uninstalled the upgrade - until Spybot gets their act together to eliminate these errors with the Home/Virus version, guess I'll be going back to the free version - IT was always reliable...

I have the EXACT same problem, I recently purchased your SpyBot/AV Home edition. Ever since I installed the new Spybot the error box spams my Desktop when I try to launch 'Steam' or ANY program on my computer really... Same error everytime..... The programs i try to open wont open until I close the box, and then another one pops up, and then another one, and then another one........ Like Edited guys... WTF?....

Guess I'll be going back to your FREE edition again, I would like a refund of this buggy Home edition crap please.

Would have Edit'd but my window was open for too long, just updating my post above.

When I turn Spybot's "Live Protection" OFF I no longer recieve the error and everything runs flawlessly like it used to.

So your 'Error 217' has something to do with your "Live Protection".

GL

Default Runtime Error at 500E8338

Quote Originally Posted by daculpepp View Post
    I am running Spybot S&D 2.4.40 on Windows 8.1. I consistently receive a Runtime error 217 at 500E8338 upon system boot. I uninstalled Spybot, rebooted, and did not receive the error. I have performed this procedure twice with the same results. I reloaded Spybot in safemode, performed a complete system scan, and rebooted. Once again, I received the same runtime error. Please help.
    I have the same Error as above pop up all the time. Is there a way a geek can get and UNDERSTAND how to repair, slowly, one step at a time and simple language. Thank You.
    Roger B.

Angry Same Error

I am running Windows 8.1 and starting getting the same error. I can disable live protection and do not have the error. A fix would be nice. If not I guess I wasted my money.

Quote Originally Posted by LEP57 View Post
    I am running Windows 8.1 and starting getting the same error. I can disable live protection and do not have the error. A fix would be nice. If not I guess I wasted my money.
    You might want to contact support,and tell them about the error.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Has this been addressed at the support site? If so, can you please provide a direct link to it in this thread?

Thanks

If a solution was posted it would likely be in the knowledgebase under error messages when you click on Spybot 2. I don't believe the solution is there, I didn't find anything when I looked through.
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/knowledgebase/

You could contact support, though. They might have a solution that hasn't been listed on the website.
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/ticket/