Thread: How Do I Enable the Spybot Tab in File Properties Panels?

Default How Do I Enable the Spybot Tab in File Properties Panels?

In the post here:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=21451

it is shown that there can be a "Spybot-S&D" tab on file properties panels, but I don't have this and can't figure out how to enable it.

I've tried both v1.5.2.20 and the new v1.6.0.25 beta, but no luck.

What do I need to do?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Zer0 Voltage:

Register the sdfiles.dll:
    • Click Start then select Run…
    • Type "command" or "cmd" (no quotes).
    • Click "OK". A command prompt window will open.
    • At the command prompt (C:\....> ) type:
      • regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\sdfiles.dll"
    • Press enter.
    • Type "exit" (no quotes).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks very much! That did it.

Was this supposed to happen by default during installation? If so, I think there may be a bug because I didn't see it on multiple XP systems.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Zer0 Voltage:

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0 Voltage View Post
    Was this supposed to happen by default during installation?
    Not as far as I know.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Some people did not like seeing it there (even though it wouldn't even load unless they clicked on it) during the 1.5.2 betas, so it never made the fully integrated status.

I've added a feature request about it:
    Explorer propery sheet plugin: option during installation

Remaining question for discussion would be what the default should be. Should it be part of the Full installation? Probably. Default during a Custom installation?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

I know I'm new to the forums, but for what it's worth my opinion is that it should be enabled by default.

If you think about it, most (if not all) security tools which can scan files and folders have some level of Explorer integration enabled by default.

With Spybot, I was so surprised not to see this that I originally came here to make it a feature request - but then I saw that post I referenced first.

Plus, like you say, it does nothing unless you actually select it - and even then you can still click cancel.

So long as there is an option somewhere to disable it, I really can't see how it could cause any problems or complaints. And it's just too useful to hide.

At the absolute minimum, I think a menu option somewhere under Settings to enable it would be useful (even if not made into a default choice during install).

Perhaps in the meantime, a FAQ on the web site or in the documentation would be helpful. I actually did try searching before posting, but because I was searching on "explorer integration" I missed it.

Also for future consideration, maybe think about Explorer context menu integration too. In other words, an entry to "Scan with Spybot-S&D" in the popup menu you get when right clicking selected files and/or folders. That's what other scanning products do, so it would probably be more intuitive for the average user (and require fewer steps). This could even be made into an option - either use the tab or use the context menu (or both).

Just for the record though, I am a little surprised this feature is slower than normal scanning. Spybot itself - especially the new beta - is really fast on scans. But when I click on the file properties Spybot tab, it takes quite a while to complete (once it starts). Any reason why that is slower than a regular scan?