Thread: 9/9/09 Updates

Default 9/9/09 Updates

I tried to perform the usual Wednesday update today and the three 'usual' updates downloaded and then I got this message:

"C:\program files\spybot - search and destroy\adv check.dll
    The existing file is marked Read-Only.
    Check Retry to remove the read-only attribute and try again. Ignore to skip this file, or Abort to cancel installation".

What is going on please? I clicked Retry (not knowing what else to do) and nothing happened. I restarted my computer. I opened S&D again and checked for updates and was told no newer updates available.
    Vista also Win7 (64-Bit) IE 9; MSE; SpywareBlaster; MalwareBytes; SpyBot

The advcheck.dll has been updated after the reboot because you selected "retry". Hence you do not see any new updates the last time you checked.
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Default Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    The advcheck.dll has been updated after the reboot because you selected "retry". Hence you do not see any new updates the last time you checked.
    #1- What do I do now?
    #2- Is my S&D okay?
    #3- I believe there was something mentioned also about version (?) update, or something similar to that? My Help/About states 1.6.2.46. Is that the latest version?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by alicez View Post

#1- What do I do now?

No need to do anything, just a minor error.

#2- Is my S&D okay?

Yes everything is fine now. The update was applied after you restarted. There are no updates available because you did them.

#3- I believe there was something mentioned also about version (?) update, or something similar to that? My Help/About states 1.6.2.46. Is that the latest version?

Yes, you should have the latest version.
    Hope that helps ease your worry. I got the same message as well. You are good. =]

Thank you.
    Notice that I received the same 'error' message

""C:\program files\spybot - search and destroy\adv check.dll
    Check Retry to remove the read-only attribute and try again. Ignore to skip this file, or Abort to cancel installation"."

on my other 2 computers also.

Will do nothing more and will stop worrying!

Lightbulb Note that...

I have tried it on multiple operating systems and am getting the same result. Must be a slight bug in the updates. If anyone is reading this confused about this message; simply choose retry and then restart your computer. The updates will then be applied, and all will be well. I am not sure why this is occurring, maybe we can get a more thorough answer from team spybot soon on this.

Cool unclick reading tab

Quote Originally Posted by alicez View Post
    I tried to perform the usual Wednesday update today and the three 'usual' updates downloaded and then I got this message:

"C:\program files\spybot - search and destroy\adv check.dll
    Check Retry to remove the read-only attribute and try again. Ignore to skip this file, or Abort to cancel installation".

What is going on please? I clicked Retry (not knowing what else to do) and nothing happened. I restarted my computer. I opened S&D again and checked for updates and was told no newer updates available.
    ---------------------------

I donīt know if I did ok. I search for advchec.ddll properties tab, untick the only reading mark, went back to the update message, selected the retry option and went back to advcheck.dll an , properties, and tick again the only reading option. What I donīt know is why it is a only reading file.

Good luck

Dimas - new one

so its safe to leave alone ?
    I was unsure if id messed it up and wanted to uninstall

mei

Hello!

I have a lingering question from that 9/09/2009 update.

I downloaded that update, but when the error popped up, I clicked abort. Judging by the version number thrown out in this thread, my Spybot didn't get updated as I don't have the .42 at the end of the version number.

Also, I think TeaTimer is blocking it ("NoDriveTypeAutoRun" new info:"hex,75,00,00,") from running every time I start my computer, and I think it is unnecessary to have the TT log growing like that.

Would there be any way to undo the block, assuming I screwed up and still need to update the advcheck.dll file?

Or am I completely off-base?