Thread: Blocked sites from hosts file

Default Blocked sites from hosts file

I got these sites I block in my hosts file coming up in a spybot scan.

Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts: Redirected host (Redirected host, nothing done)
    www.tweakxp.com=127.0.0.1

Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts: Redirected host (Redirected host, nothing done)
    tweakxp.com=127.0.0.1

www.flash.net=127.0.0.1

ask.com=127.0.0.1

www.ask.com=127.0.0.1

I know this a false.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Spybot is identifying that your HOSTS file contains entries that are blocking access to the following Web sites by redirecting access to IP Address 127.0.0.1 (localhost):
    • www.tweakxp.com
    • tweakxp.com
    • www.flash.net
    • ask.com
    • www.ask.com

Spybot is identifying the entries because Spybot does not consider them threatening sites and there is a potential that these entries were added to the HOSTS file by malicious software to block the access.

If you are intentionally blocking those sites, ignore the detections in Spybot.

If you are not intentionally blocking those sites, then do a "Fix selected problems" on the detections.

Currently the five (5) sites are not restricted in any way by Spybot. During immunization no entries are added to the registry to block the storing of cookies from these sites nor to add the sites to Internet Explorer's restricted zone. In addition, Spybot does not add entries to its HOSTS file to block access to these sites.

If you truly feel that access to these five (5) sites pose a risk, perhaps you can identify that risk so that Team Spybot can evaluate the risk and possibly restrict access to those sites.

If the entries (detections) you are questioning are from the hpHosts file again, perhaps you would consider joining and participating in the following forum to find out why these entries are being added to that file:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Those are sites I have added to my HostsMan hosts file and I use hp-hosts, mvps-hosts and Mikes-Hosts files.

So I am blocking them any others that have those same names in it. Blocking 60,572 site along with what sites I have also added and there are no duplicates.
    Plus it will scan possible hijacks. HostsMan works great.

I am also a member over at http://hphosts.mysteryfcm.co.uk/forum where the new hphosts forum is at.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

To reiterate:

Quote Originally Posted by hewee View Post
    Those are sites I have added to my HostsMan hosts file and I use hp-hosts, mvps-hosts and Mikes-Hosts files.
    Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    If you are intentionally blocking those sites, ignore the detections in Spybot.
    Quote Originally Posted by hewee View Post
    I know this a false.
    Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Spybot is identifying the entries because Spybot does not consider them threatening sites and there is a potential that these entries were added to the HOSTS file by malicious software to block the access.

If you truly feel that access to these five (5) sites pose a risk, perhaps you can identify that risk so that Team Spybot can evaluate the risk and possibly restrict access to those sites.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.