Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10

hey ive uninstalled it because it wasnt allowing skype to recvie messages from groupchats and it wasnt able to be updated but i cant install it even though ive uninstalled spybot anti beacon and yes before i uninstalled it i disabled all the protection before hand so what do i have to change in the firewall settings to beable to install skype again?

Default Anti Beacon need to be running to provide protection?

Hello , This might seem obvious but does Anti Beacon need to be started up each time I start my computer to provide protection ?, and if so, I can't find anywhere in the program to set it to run at start up. Thanks

Default Office 13 Telemetrz Scheduled Tasks - no blocks yet!

Hi installed version 1.5 but i cant block - Office 13 Telemetry Scheduled Tasks - i press apply and nothing happens...

Any idea how to fix this ?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 is a small utility designed to block and stop the various tracking (aka telemetry) issues that come with Windows 10.

Seeing the bunch of incomplete or broken scripts to disable tracking in Windows 10, and the tools that install adware or worse in exchange for their function, we wrapped disabling tracking up in a small tool that's free and clean. Might or might not become part of the next Spybot, since it's similar to immunization, but it's needed now, and it's still work in progress as more and more information evolves.

Choose one:

Attachment 12311

Default 2 problems with IP's blocked

I've found two problems that will affect a lot of users.

1) The Microsoft Symbols server msdl.microsoft.com is blocked, this host may be used for more than just Symbol downloading, but I could not use Windows Debugger at all when Beacon added IP blocks to Windows Firewall.

2) Google Hangouts as of last night could not successfully make a call, I thought the service was down all night, disabled the Beacon Windows Firewall rule and tada it started working again.

You may want to make a list of warnings to show users when you block such a large range of IP addresses, some which don't even appear to be MSFT ones!

Since I applied Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 on my tablet, the battery drain is going crazy:

http://i.imgur.com/yY1oaVw.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjabeagle View Post
    Hello , This might seem obvious but does Anti Beacon need to be started up each time I start my computer to provide protection ?, and if so, I can't find anywhere in the program to set it to run at start up. Thanks
    No need to run it permanently, but it might be helpful to check again after bigger Windows updates

Quote Originally Posted by maffle View Post
    Since I applied Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 on my tablet, the battery drain is going crazy:

http://i.imgur.com/yY1oaVw.jpg
    Did you also apply optional blocks ar just the ones from the "Protection" tab?

Seeing mail mentioned, that looks like the OneDrive Service entry, which causes Windows Mail to have issues if blocked. If so, could you please unblock that and reboot (changes to this seem to need a reboot sometimes).

Quote Originally Posted by Josephur View Post
    I've found two problems that will affect a lot of users.

1) The Microsoft Symbols server msdl.microsoft.com is blocked, this host may be used for more than just Symbol downloading, but I could not use Windows Debugger at all when Beacon added IP blocks to Windows Firewall.
    I don't see msdl.microsoft.com on our lists at all. Are you sure about the domain name? Doesn't sound like anything I would add to the block list at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Josephur View Post
    2) Google Hangouts as of last night could not successfully make a call, I thought the service was down all night, disabled the Beacon Windows Firewall rule and tada it started working again.

You may want to make a list of warnings to show users when you block such a large range of IP addresses, some which don't even appear to be MSFT ones!
    Large range? The block should be exactly one IP currently (mostly for testing how IP blocking through the firewall works), 204.79.197.200, aka a-0001.a-msedge.net. Wich range do you speak about? That IP also has dozens of bing-related domains, but I didn't see any .microsoft.com domain there except for ieonline.microsoft.com (you can check the first 100 here for example). Bing itself doesn't find the URL you mentioned on this IP.

Could you please post the IP range you speak about, possibly with more details about the firewall entry?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PC tech View Post
    When I turned off hosts monitoring in Avira every thing worked fine again. I did this in hopes that Windows would make the changes it wanted to in the hosts file and then I would turn the Avira protection back on and it would accept the new changes. No such luck, shortly after I turned hosts file protection back on, Antibeacon went to the top of the list in CPU use to the same level. Any Ideas or patches. I would like to keep the Avira protection on the hosts file to prevent ad redirection.
    I had the same problem, exactly with avira. I have just kept the hosts file protection off. It's not Windows that would like to make changes, it's antibeacon, so leaving it off insures antibeacon can always revert it back to blocking the IP's that windows would like to mess with at updates for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mwolff2015 View Post
    Hi installed version 1.5 but i cant block - Office 13 Telemetry Scheduled Tasks - i press apply and nothing happens...

Any idea how to fix this ?

Thank you
    I'm having this problem too. Nothing happens when it is clicked.

Screendump of it. Three office tasks work fine, one does not.
    Untitled.png
    Last edited by GhhMpf; 2015-12-02 at 19:15. Reason: Added details about screendump for the lazy.

If you could, adding command line args to this, so that it can be run completely via a batch command, that would be amazing, I run my own little tech company and this is widely wanted as a preinstalled program, and I would like it to run on post install without user input.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Did you also apply optional blocks ar just the ones from the "Protection" tab?

Seeing mail mentioned, that looks like the OneDrive Service entry, which causes Windows Mail to have issues if blocked. If so, could you please unblock that and reboot (changes to this seem to need a reboot sometimes).
    http://i.imgur.com/ZZFwu4P.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/IkCBmdn.jpg

Clicking the OneDrive Undo button does not do anything, it always says 1/2.

The log is full of these:
    "hxmail.windowsbackgroundtask" "hxmailunistorenotificationtask"

Opening the mail app works fine though it syncs and I can send mail (via gmail).
    Last edited by maffle; 2015-12-03 at 11:57.