Thread: Spybot 1.5

Question Spybot 1.5

I currently have Spybot 1.4, do I need to uninstall this version before upgrading to 1.5?

Also before completing the the installation of 1.5, there something called Permanet Protection which asks:

1. Use Internet Explorer Permanent Protection (SDHelper)

2. Use system settings protection (Tea Timer)

If I choose to not tick the box in front of either or both of these, is there somewhere in the program where I can latter turn these options on?

Finally....what are these options SDHelper and Tea Timer?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I suggest you uninstall Spybot 1.4 first.

Both SDHelper and TeaTimer can be activated by going into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident. Under the heading "Resident protection status" you will see:
    • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
    • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.

There is a brief description of both SDHelper and TeaTimer in the following:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Question SpyBot 1.5 -Initial Scan

Per your suggestion I uninstalled SpyBot 1.4 and installed version 1.5. My initial scan with 1.5 brought up the following issues:

1. Microsoft.Windiws.IEFirewallBypass (with 2 Registry settings involved)

2. Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusDisableNotify (1 Registry setting involved)

3. Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallDisableNotify (1 Registry setting involved)

IMPORTANT: I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewall so I have Windows Firewall Disabled. My AntiVirus is McAfee and it's up to date and working as it should.

I don't want to "fix" or remove any of these entries from the registry so how can I tell SpyBot to IGNORE these so they do not come up again? Right clicking on any of the above issues does not display an option to IGNORE the entriey.

Hello,

After a scan with Spybot - Search & Destroy

* Expand the detection if necessary (+ to the left of the detection).
    * Select the item (entry) that you want to exclude by left clicking on it to highlight it.
    * Then right click on highlighted detection.
    * Select from the list of options in the menu.

If you would like to do it this way Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Ignore products > Security tab and check the items there. Make sure you are checking the correct items, don't check all of them You can drag the PRODUCT section to ensure you see the full path.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks sypbotsandra that did the trick.

One final question.....hopefully! Spybot 1.5 takes a noticeably longer time to load than 1.4, is there anything that can be done to speed it up?

NOTE: I installed 1.5 with all the default settings except I turned on the Resident "SDHelper". I did NOT turn on Tea Timer.

Hello,

Perhaps this is dued to the floppy scan.
    There are different ways to search for spies.
    Spybot - Search & Destroy takes the advantage to check for all existing drives. Antivirus solutions do this also by the way.
    It is checking inactive installations and storing a list of really available drives to avoid unnecessary lookups at later points. The creating of such an overview is taking place right at the start of Spybot - Search & Destroy. At this moment Spybot makes a quick scan to proove if itself is modified by malware or some kind of baddie. So this can take quite a few seconds. Please be patient.

We are trying to solve this issue.
    Please have a look at this project tool:
    http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=85

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks again spybotsandara. I do not have a floppy drive installed and I only use my USB external drive when doing a backup (normally it's not connected).

At this moment Spybot makes a quick scan to proove if itself is modified by malware or some kind of baddie
    If Spybot is checking all these things, I can understand it taking a bit longer to load.