Thread: Version 1.5 no work under Win95

Default Version 1.5 no work under Win95

Is anybody else out there still running Windows 95? If so, have you got version 1.5 of Spybot to run?

I just downloaded and tried to run version 1.5 of Spybot. I run Windows 95. The install went fine, but every time I run the program it just tries to access the floppy drive (A:). Nothing else, not even a start-up message on the screen. The task "spybotsd" is left hanging, and I end up killing it with the Windows task manager.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Regards,
    Martin

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Other people have also experienced Spybot 1.5 accessing Drive A. However, I was not aware that it stopped Spybot 1.5 from functioning. There is a tracking ticket on the problem:

You should be aware that Spybot 1.5 is taking an extreemly long time to load. Are you sure that you are not assuming that the accessing of Drive A is stopping the load process? In my Pentium 4 2.40ghz system, Spybot 1.5 takes 56 seconds to load. There is also a tracking ticket on that problem:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default It Is Working--Just Takes a Long Time to Load

I am running 1.5 on an old 166MHZ Pentium computer with Windows 95. The installation went fine, but Spybot S&D takes 11 minutes to load. Drive "A" is accessed, but this doesn't seem to have anything to do with the problem. It will eventually load if you give it enough time and don't intervene first in some way.

So just be very patient, and the program will load and work just fine.

If you just need to use the Process List or something like that, you can load the program much faster by temporarily renaming the Includes file to something like _Includes before starting the program. Of course, much of the functionality of the program will not be there, but some of the tools and stuff will work, and the program will load really speedily in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by martin.leese View Post
    Is anybody else out there still running Windows 95? If so, have you got version 1.5 of Spybot to run?

I just downloaded and tried to run version 1.5 of Spybot. I run Windows 95. The install went fine, but every time I run the program it just tries to access the floppy drive (A. Nothing else, not even a start-up message on the screen. The task "spybotsd" is left hanging, and I end up killing it with the Windows task manager.

Regards,
    Martin
    Yes, I am having the same problem on Win95 with a Pentium 166 and 128 meg of memory. I gave the current release of Spybot1.5 over 15 minutes to load but it never starts. I switched back to beta version 1.5.1.12, it takes about 1 1/2 minutes to start.

Quote Originally Posted by martin.leese View Post

I just downloaded and tried to run version 1.5 of Spybot. I run Windows 95. The install went fine, but every time I run the program it just tries to access the floppy drive (A. Nothing else, not even a start-up message on the screen. The task "spybotsd" is left hanging, and I end up killing it with the Windows task manager.

Regards,
    Martin
    I have now downloaded beta test version SpybotSD.exe 1.5.1.16, and Spybot now takes 50 seconds to load. Many thanks to all at Spybot.

Regards,
    Martin