My subscription to Norton ran out, and I read Pepi's post about Symantec's unprincipled and wrongheaded position, and together with the high price and HUGE resource requirements (my laptop is only a P-4 2.6GHz/533FSB w/512Mb - I run Linux on my production machines.. ) that substantially slowed my computer I decided to look for another anti-virus program. I discovered that Avast Anti-Virus is free for non-commercial, personal, use and includes free daily updates. I tested it, using both new and some VERY old virii and it found and dealt with them all immediately. It's simple to install and use, works good, and is free! You cannot ask for more!

In addition, Kasperski is reasonably priced, fast, and solid with extensive technical credentials.

My sister has been using AVG for over 3 years in her software company and is very satisfied; it is both reasonably priced, fast, and very well done (great interface, features). She swears by it.

These are the ones I personally know about - there are several others that are reportedly just as good.

NO anti-virus programs that I know of take such a toll on system resources and performance as the Norton/McAfee engine, or cost as much to use.

There is just no excuse to install, or renew, Norton/McAfee when there are so many other better programs available!

After 34 years as a Programmer, Interface Designer, and Metrologist (scientific measurement) one learns that life is too short to use expensive, sluggish, bloated software.

Dump Norton and enjoy the added speed and lowered [or eliminated] cost! You will be glad you did.

fudoki