View Poll Results: Should we follow ASCs definitions of Spyware/PUPS and add NIS to the detections?

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, detect NIS completely!

222 67.27%
  • Yes, but detect only some harmless files to wake up people.

26 7.88%
  • No, please waste our donations to go through legal channels, instead of using them to fight malware.

8 2.42%
  • None of the above.

74 22.42%
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Either Safer Networking Ltd. or Symantec leaving the Anti Spyware Coalition...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Symantec Menace

Norton Internet Security detects both Spybot and Microsoft Defender as incompatible products.

The real problem is they are taking away our options. Of all of the anti-virus products I have used, Norton Anti-virus is the one that gets disabled the easiest by viruses.

Can someone help me out im looking for a program i cant remember the name but it runs in the back ground and any time you or any program tries to change your homepage it will pop up and ask you if its ok to change or if you want to stop it. I have been browser hijacked twice in the past and its a pain in the butt to get rid of so i would assume to just prevent it happening again. Thanks for you help.

Thumbs up Great product Spybot the best...

i am so happy with the spybot, i really love it, other antivirus didnt detect the spyware that i had, exepct this one, i really want to say thank u to u all
    for this product, and i think symantec should consider working with this products, cause it detects even spyware that norton didnt detect on my computer...............

Norton was pretty cool back in the day, when MSDOS 5 was still new. Norton Utilities was a staple for any serious computer user.

Since then, they've taken a serious toboggan ride downhill.

So I say definitely have Spybot completely remove NIS!

Default Yes please...

I've been an IT professional for 25 years. Norton Utilities was an indispensable box of tricks in its early days (first released about 1982 if memory serves). But since a couple of years after Symantic took over, I put "don't install any of norton" at the top of the list if friends or family ask my advice, or "I'll (try) to remove it" if they are unlucky to enough to find the thing pre-installed. I was hesitant to say the same to clients - even colleagues were a little incredulous I was anti such an 'established' company. Maybe there are good bits, but to my mind if they get it so wrong for so long in the areas I've seen problems, then the whole box goes in the bin.

I'm please to see you guys making a stand, and it doesn't surprise they don't play fair with fellow members of the ASC. I'll continue saying to anyone who asks that Norton causes more problems than it claims to solve, and continue telling any company I buy or source PCs from, that I'll not buy them if they come installed with such rubbish.

p.s.
    Spybot is brilliant (thought I should say something positive )
    Last edited by PaulE; 2006-11-02 at 16:34.

This isn't sticking up for or bashing anyone, just a comment. In working with computers for over 20 years, I don't think I've ever un-installed anything from a windows machine where everything was gone. Matter of fact, most programs will give you a message that not all files were deleted, and suggest you delete them yourself. When I find a better program that what I have, I un-install the old one and almost every time I have to do extra work, not much, to delete the rest of the files. Occasionally I will have to go into the registry to locate and change or delete setting for the program.
    I do use Nortons anti-virus, but not NIS - I don't feel I need it for what I do. My windows firewall works fine for me. I have installed NIS on other peoples computers and got tired of trying to figure what to use and what to deny - everyone has their own list.
    Actually I just started using this version of Spybot and had more trouble with it. It wouldn't let me install any updates, even windows updates. The use/deny buttons are scrambled and I can't use them. I had problems getting my own work done cause spybot kept popping up to tell me it denied something else. I have for the monent, disabled Spybot and wil run it when I feel it's necessary. What it does it does well, maybe too well.

Lynn

Default how about ClamWin

While looking for alternatives, I came across a program called ClamWin antivirus. It looks like a free, open-source program but the version number (0.88.5) suggests to me that it might not be completely ready yet. Anybody have any experience with this one?

Also, how about firewalls? What're some good alternatives there?

I was just starting to install my new NIS2007 when I saw the message about spybot... a little research brought me this wealth of info & now i'm really considering asking for my money back. the icing on the cake was more than half the user agreement being for yahoo toolbar that they want you to install <.<; talk about unprofessional...
    Last edited by whatabout; 2006-11-05 at 07:34.

Quote Originally Posted by whatabout View Post
    Also, how about firewalls? What're some good alternatives there?

I use Zonealarm. They even have free version at: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...=nl&lid=nav_za

Default what's the best option

My 15 - year old son has just bought himself a laptop which had a load of stuff preinstalled (with no disks) including XP and Norton 2006. He was also convinced by PC World that he needed to purchase NIS 2007.

I would also like to point out that he keeps getting ccApp.exe problems when trying to shut down for the night (which seems to take for ever and a day)

On the main PC I run Zone Alarm, AVG and Spybot - I do have Norton Utilities which a friend put on for me when I was having other probs.

Can someone please advise what the best option for my son's laptop is - I have not installed NIS 2007 yet and having read the comments here I'm not sure that I really want to!! If I try to uninstall 2006 and it goes pear-shaped I am going to be in big trouble as we have no disks for XP to reinstall and start again.

I did think about returning NIS 2007 back to shop but my son has taken sellophane wrapper off so they wouldn't accept that and reading some your comments here it doesn't look as though Symantec will accept return either without valid reason.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

BTW I love Spybot - have used this for a long time on my PC, haven't had any problems and it is so easy to use for some of us who don't really have the slightest idea about all this stuff.

Thanks in advance

Was this a new laptop that he bought. If it was, I thought it was illegal to sell a new computer without the program discs to go with it.
    If he's stuck with it as is, try this. I got these instructions from Symantec some time ago and it worked for me. I have since stopped using NIS. This is also good for anti virus 2006 My other machine has System Works 2005 and I have no problem with it.

In order to resolve the issue disable Scan Removable Media and Floppy Disk:

1. Start Noton Internet Security 2007
    2. Click on Noton Internet Security Tab
    3. Select 'Settings tab'
    4. Click on 'Virus and Spyware Protection Options' under 'Additional Options'
    5. Select 'General Settings' under 'Real-Time Protection' in Left pane of the Virus and Spyware Protection Options Window
    6. Uncheck 'Scan Floppy disk in drive A for boot viruses when Shutting down'
    7. Click Ok

Lynn