Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New install, very strange behaviour.

Default New install, very strange behaviour.

I installed S&D on two computers in the last week. One is a new computer and the other is a freshly reformatted computer. The reformatted computer has no problem with S&D but the new one is a different story. Here is what is happening.

1) When I look in the help section and select "about" it does not say S&D 1.4. It just says S&D.

2) The file sets do not stay selected. When ever I restart S&D there are non selected. I have to select them every time

3) When I launch S&D it always starts at the "Tools" screen. No matter what I do it starts there.

4) Scan results are very weird. It lists Opera cache and Firefox cache as a result in the results list.

What is going on here?

Thank You

Are you sure you downloaded Spybot 1.4 final to the new computer,and not an older beta from somewhere?
    I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly,but I think I remember a beta version of Spybot that used to always open at the Tools section.I can't check up on that for sure or the other behavior,since all that stuff was on an old forum,that no longer exists.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2006-11-18 at 02:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Are you sure you downloaded Spybot 1.4 final to the new computer,and not an older beta from somewhere?
    I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly,but I think I remember a beta version of Spybot that used to always open at the Tools section.I can't check up on that for sure or the other behavior,since all that stuff was on an old forum,that no longer exists.

It is possible, but I downloaded from one of the links from the S&D home page.

Another few things that are happeneing is that the "ignore file extensions and "ignore system internals" are empty were as on my other computers there are listings there.

I have not let S&D correct what it has detected thankfully. I am going to uninstall and install an other version from Cnet.

OK, Now this is very strange. I uninstalled S&D. Than manually deleted any folders left over and rebooted. Than I went to Download.com and installed S&D from there. I made sure it was 1.4. In fact I have used that site before for S&D with no problems. Any way I downloaded and installed and it did the same thing. Exactly the same thing. Doesn't even say 1.4 in the "about" or any were else for that matter. Also keeps launching on the tools page. Very strange.

Default Don't know what the problem is.

I am at a loss as to what my problem is installing S&D. Every time I install on this computer S&D behaves very strange. It constantly launches on the tools screen not the home screen. There are many other weird things happening to. I have done a total uninstall and reinstall several times. I made sure it was 1.4 being downloaded and tried several different sites for the down load. I have used the registry fix provided by S&D and still it installs the same way. This is a one week old Dell and other than this it works perfectly. I have several other anti malware apps installed and all work perfectly as does every other program I have installed. Just S&D is giving me problems and I have installed S&D many times with no issue on other machines. What could be the problem? Here is a link to my other thread about it. http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9042

After my second attempt at a reinstall it appeared to install fine and actually launched as it should. Than an half hour latter I tried to launch again and it launched on the tools page and all the other strange behavior returned as well. Tried launching again and it worked fine . Now it 's back to the strange behavior and it's staying that way.
    Last edited by tashi; 2006-11-18 at 18:09. Reason: topics merged

Just did like my 6th uninstall and reinstall. Using a different download site each time. Same crap. I do not even get the first run wizard. Just launches into the tools page every time the install is done.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

When tashi merged two of your topics, there was actually a third:

In that thread you asked about this very small fix in the FAQ How to uninstall?

Did you ever try running the remove-spybotsd-settings.reg file during your multiple uninstall attempts?

You stated:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony A View Post
    I uninstalled S&D. Than manually deleted any folders left over and rebooted.
    Did your manual deletion include the Configuration.ini file stored in one of the following folders?
    • Windows 95 or 98:
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Windows ME:
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Are you altering the installation directory during in the installation process from the default of?
    • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Lastly, if you initiated TeaTimer during any of the installations of Spybot-S&D did you stop it before attempting to uninstall?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I did run the reg file 3 different uninstall attempts.

I deleted everything that was left over in the files. There were some files in the install directory in C:/program files/ spybot S&D. There was also some files in C:/Documents and Settings/all users/application data/Spybot S&D.

I did not change the default install location. I did not activate Tea Timer or SD Helper or immunize. I installed like I have many times before. I would think it was a bug in my computer but it is new and runs great with every other program.

I have AVG AV, AVG AS, Ad-Aware, Superantispyware, and CW Shredder installed and working perfectly.

What about uninstalling, running the registry fix, than rebooting, and install in safe mode? Will S&D install in safe mode OK? I'm thinking that some obscure program or setting is messing with S&D because everything else works fine on the computer.

Well I figured out what the problem is. There is a conflict with my Logitech mouse. I have a VX Revolution and when I unplug it from the USB port the problem is gone. I am using my older mouse and S&D works fine. Same set point software but a different mouse and thats all it took to screw up S&D. Vey strange.