Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't get rid of info balloon - HELP

Default I can't get rid of info balloon - HELP

I've downloaded and installed SB 1.60 31. Since then a little info balloon has been telling me that it is 'Scanning process 9999 aka full path name.'

Followed occasionally by 'New processes have been scannned' !?!

I'm sure it may be useful to the highly IT literate but to me it's a pain. How do I get rid of it please and just to educate me a bit -what is it saying/doing?

Regards, John

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

JohnMich:

See post #2 in this thread:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile

Thank you, thank you.
    Clicked on the icon I now know as Resident icon - nothing happened.
    Right clicked on icon - bingo!
    Unchecked 'Enable info balloon' - nothing happened!
    Then I remembered that someone in the thread you referred me to talked about a restart.
    Restarted and blow me down the balloon's gone.
    See you can teach an old dog new tricks.
    Forums like this are brilliant

PS: I noticed that when the info balloon was enabled the explanation of what other icons meant did not work but now the info is disabled the mouse pointer activates the explanations again.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMich View Post
    ... I noticed that when the info balloon was enabled the explanation of what other icons meant did not work but now the info is disabled the mouse pointer activates the explanations again.
    John,

In XP at least the tool tips do still work, but not while the Spybot balloon is still actually being displayed. When Teatimer has finished scanning a new process it put up a balloon saying "New processes have been scanned" which is to indicate that Teatimer has actually finished its task. The balloon will however remain there for a time. The delay in it closing is not I understand of Spybot's making but rather is Windows derived. Anyhow, once this has closed, either on its own or if you click on the cross to hurry it up you should find the tool tips work on all the task bar items again.

I too have this problem after updating. I have disabled balloon, but it still keeps popping up every few seconds.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by the bard View Post
    I too have this problem after updating. I have disabled balloon, but it still keeps popping up every few seconds.
    In which case the same solution that worked for John should work for you. Read it all carefully and post back if it doesn't.

Hello,

It takes quite a bit time that the action takes place because some of the balloons are still in queue. They should stop after a while. A reboot might also help.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I would also like to disable TeaTimers tool tip notifications of when it accepts or denies a change but when I right click on the TeaTimer icon there is no option to disable them.

Is there an alternate method such as a registry or INI file edit? (I'm very experienced and comfortable editing the registry as long as I know where to look)

I have found an entry called something like TeaTimerHide but not being sure what it will hide, decided not to mess with it.

The version I am running is 1.6.0.0

Thanks!
    Seek the aid of those not men to quench the fires of war,
    Else evil triumphant will ascend and rule forever more.

Hello,

TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshot was taken. This happens primarily when you reboot the system. To refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:

* Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
    o TeaTimer closes.
    o TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.
    * Restart TeaTimer:
    o Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    o Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

If you periodically recycle TeaTimer the problem will be diminished but not necessarily totally eliminated. As an alternative you can periodically just shut down TeaTimer as outlined above without restarting it just prior to shutting down the system to refresh the snapshot files.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tipperton View Post
    I would also like to disable TeaTimers tool tip notifications of when it accepts or denies a change but when I right click on the TeaTimer icon there is no option to disable them. ...
    If you are talking about the notifications concerning registry changes, there is no way to disable them.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.