PDA

View Full Version : Have you checked your host file lately?

scout23
2008-09-06, 06:13
goes for ages...

err this is long...?

My Bad...

Thought it was bad...

Forget it

Changed my mind...

Wait no worries..

wyrmrider
2008-09-06, 06:15
And your point is?

DougCuk
2008-09-06, 15:06
The large size of the Hosts file created by Spybot immunisation can be a problem - it can cause an initial delay when opening Internet Explorer as the file now exceeds the default size of the DNS Cache. I have tested both the complex solution of increasing the cache size and the simple option of disabling the cache and decided on the second option - as recommended in the Spybot FAQ.

To disable the cache you need to switch off the DNS Client Service - either via the Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services route or more simply by using the Run option from the StartMenu (if enabled) - just enter Services.msc at the Run prompt. You then locate and Stop the DNS Client Service and then change the Startup Type to Manual or Disabled. Any problems then you just turn it back on.

Despite the MS description this service is not required for normal DNS resolution (unless you use Active Directory domains) and my systems seem to run just fine without it. Turning this service off just disables the local DNS cache - all lookups then go to the DNS servers direct. In my tests this doesn't seem to slow DNS lookups as long as your ISP's DNS servers are quick - plus it stops the caching of failed website loads which can make a website appear offline until the cache expires.