Thread: Spybot 2.2 query

Default Spybot 2.2 query

I installed Spybot2 only yesterday, after using Spybot 1.6 for a long time, so I’m not at all familiar with it. When I tried to Immunize, after shutting down Chrome, nothing seemed to happen except that it froze! This is not an encouraging introduction. Would someone explain what might have gone wrong.

You could click Show Details and see where immunization is hung up at,if it doesn't freeze right away.
    My firefox usually is slow to be immunized.I usually just exclude that and immunize it by itself later on.

Thanks Zenobia, but let me just add that I've read that AVG free might be the problem. I've had a look in Settings but I can't find how to tell Spybot to accept AVG free - can you help me out here?
    Plus the fact that my browser is Chrome - is this another problem area?

You're welcome.
    Sorry,I don't currently have Chrome installed.The last I saw about Chrome and Immunization on here was that Chrome is not immunized,that a plugin would be needed to immunize it.Of course,that may have changed by now.Is Chrome listed when you click Show Details on the immunization page?

Yes,AVG is listed as a possible reason for incomplete immunization here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...e-immunization
    However,I found a post from 2008 saying that immunization and AVG conflicting was no longer a problem:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...e-8-0-Problems
    Not a lot of other posts available to support that,though.I did have AVG myself quite a while back,and don't recall any problems with immunization though.
    So,that might not be the immunization problem,though that's quite inconclusive at best.

Anyways,the problem with AVG and Spybot Immunization could not be fixed through Spybot settings.As I recall,what was happening was that AVG detected some of Spybot's immunizations as malware and removed them.So that fell more into a "Immunization incomplete" problem,and not really a 'making immunization freeze problem.'I believe.

Immunization can take quite a while the first time.Have you tried leaving it for a while?
    Or does Spybot immediately become unresponsive when you try to immunize,or anything like that?

Hi Zenobia, curiously I've just now again tried out Immunization and this time it worked! (I remembered this time to right-click for the Administrator option).
    However, there's no sign in this new fancy 2.2 version of the brick wall being built?!
    And no, Chrome is not listed in the Immunize list - so perhaps I should just bin 2.2?
    Many thanks.

Glad immunization worked.
    The brick wall was more just a visual effect,I believe.Didn't really do anything functional.
    If Chrome isn't immunized in Spybot 2.2,I don't believe it would be immunized in Spybot 1.6.2,either,though I can't confirm that for sure,of course.

My own preference is for the newer Spybot,but that's just a personal choice.It's up to you,Spybot 1.6.2 is still listed as supported,if you'd prefer to go back to it.

OK Zenobia, thanks for that.
    2.2 is still very strange after years with version 1 so I've not decided yet on staying with the latest one.
    Anyway, many thanks for your help.

You're welcome.
    Yes,I found the new Spybot very different when I first got it,too.I was so used to everything being where it usually is in the old one,it took awhile finding my way around in the newer one at first,until I got used to it.If you think you might like to keep it,maybe just look around at everything,that's what I did,and decided I liked it.
    And if you have any questions about anything,you can always ask here.