Thread: Auto-update via the commandline? How?

Default Auto-update via the commandline? How?

I can't get it to silently (not hidden) auto-update via the command line.
    If I do this:
    Code:
    SDUpdate.exe /autoupdate
    It'll start the update program, ask for privileges (twice), re-start, and that's it. I still have to manually hit the Update button. So that doesn't work.
    Next thing I tried is by using elevate
    Code:
    elevate SDUpdate.exe /autoupdate
    Now it'll immediately ask for privileges (once), so the program starts in elevated mode right away, but it still doesn't begin updating. It's still as if the update program was started from the start center.

I also tried both ways but with the /silent option added to the end. That, my friends, doesn't do anything at all. The SDUpdate.exe process starts and immediately shuts itself down. Getting back into the update via the start center, I discover that an update has not been done. So /silent is ironically a silent fail in this case. What's more, starting SDUpdate /autoupdate /silent without elevate doesn't even try asking for privileges.

I'm ultimately trying to run a fully automatic update (preferably still visible, but otherwise unattended) from and cmd script that I can just doubleclick and be done with it. This is why I cannot and will not bother with starting an elevated commandprompt prior to updating, nor am I willing to do a right-click->start as administrator on the script (which doesn't work in the same way, if you must know). It must literally be a script that I can doubleclick, and DONE.

A shortcut is fine too. Just something that I can doubleclick on and then absolutely nothing else at all.

I'm running the latest S&D on Windows 7 x64.
    Last edited by thany; 2015-07-22 at 22:39.

Check the scheduled task for parameters. Are you using a +AV Edition? Command Line parameters are available in all those.
    I can check the exact use later today...
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

I don't have the scheduled task, because I'm running the free edition. So I have no way of knowing what commandline option are available, let alone which I should be using.

Command line parameters are features only available in the +AV editions I'm afraid, check this overview.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

I can see that, but since it's doing something, I figured *some* commandline parameters must be available. Maybe just the one or two most important ones or something.