Thread: Switching from v1.3 to v1.4

Default Switching from v1.3 to v1.4

Hi guys,
    I am getting ready to update to the latest version of SpyBot S&D. I am currently still using v1.3, and I was wondering if there is any way I can keep my program settings from the v1.3 program, so that when I install v1.4, I won't have to go through and set everything to the way that I have it presently?

Thanks in advance,
    Kelly
    Last edited by TheCosmicEnergy; 2005-12-03 at 23:49.
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    "Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy."

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCosmicEnergy
    … so that when I install v1.4, I won't have to go through and set everything to the way that I have it presently?
    Exactly what settings are you attempting to keep?

The normal uninstall is documented here:
    FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
    How to uninstall?
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.html

I personally recommend the following to insure a clean install of Spybot 1.4 (it only takes a minute or two to do and another minute or two to re-instate every option after Spybot 1.4 is installed:

Download sites for Spybot-S&D 1.4:
    Uninstall Spybot-S&D 1.3:
    • Go into Spybot > Immunize
      • Click "Undo" button (at the top)
      • Uncheck (if checked) the following:
        "Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer"
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
      • Uncheck (if checked) the following:
        Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks.
      • Uncheck (if checked) any of the following "Miscellaneous locks":
        • Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers
        • Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)
        • Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user)
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file
      • Click the "Remove Spybot S&D hosts list" button (at the top)
    • Exit Spybot-S&D
    • Make sure that TeaTimer is not running by checking for the TeaTimer System Tray Icon. If the icon is there:
      • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident. TeaTimer should close.
    • Go to Windows > Control panel > Add or Remove Programs > Locate "Spybot – Search & Destroy 1.3" > Remove.
    • Using Windows explorer, verified that the following folder has been delete. If not, delete it:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Optional (not necessary if you are installing Spybot 1.4) - If you want to make sure that all the registry entries that Spybot-S&D added during installation are removed, there is a .reg file available on the safer-networking.org WEB site that can do that. See the following article:
    • Optional (not necessary if you are installing Spybot 1.4) - Delete the Configuration.ini file
      • The Configuration.ini file is stored in one of the following folders:
        • Windows 95 or 98:
          C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
        • Windows ME:
          C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
        • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    Install Spybot-S&D 1.4:
    • Execute spybotsd14.exe download above.
    • Do not change the default installation path of:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • After installing and updating Spybot-S&D 1.4, reinstitute any options removed when uninstalling Spybot-S&D 1.3 .

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks a lot md usa spybot fan for your detailed guide for switching from v1.3 to 1.4 as this has been my concern for the past days. I have begun a new thread couple of days ago but I would like to ask something more since I don't have any reply yet.
    Firstly, about the uninstall procedure: in what way is it necessary to do all the changes that you mentioned (Immunize, Resident, IE Tweaks etc.)? Also, in the FAQ page it is stated that one should delete the Spybot S&D folder in the Application folder, but you only mentioned the configuration.ini file.
    Secondly, I would like to know about the data entered in the Tools panel and especially Resident, ActiveX and BHO. Will the installation of v1.4 "restore" them? Anyway how can I have a detailed record of my activities?
    Oh, one last thing. Even now I'm still hesitant to upgrade. I have read quite a lot reviews about different problems when upgrading to v1.4 and I'm not exactly sure that the programm is yet sufficiently bugfree.
    Thanks in advance.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

feidias_p:

Check your original post:
    Spybot 1.4 Upgrade question
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1231

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.