Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Passive Protection Part Failure?

Another option is to dual boot Windows XP and Linux. That might be best for you since you're a bit unsure about it all. That's what I did, I used linux online, then went offline when I went onto XP for anything. There's an article here:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/dual-bo...s-really-easy/
    The article is a bit dated, from 2007, but should still be good I think for the gist of things. If you decide on installing a version of linux, then you could search for a more current article with the particular version of linux you choose and Windows XP.

There's an article to install Microsoft Office on Linux on How to Geek:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/171565/how...fice-on-linux/
    That's from 2013, but still should be useful.

There's an article here from a few years back with suggestions for people who still have XP after Microsoft support ended:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...nger-supported

In my case, my computer with XP on it was having issues(which is understating it, trust me) so I just went with a small light linux distro. Your computer sounds as if it is in better shape, so you might want to consider one of these:
    https://fossbytes.com/best-linux-distro-beginners/
    I have heard a few good things about ubuntu, though it's been a while since I've been reading up on anything linux related.

I can't find anything on Windows XP commercial or business user support being extended until 2020. I'm not trying to imply somebody gave you faulty info, because it's very possible that is correct and I just haven't been able to find it anywhere. I did see support for Windows 7 is until either 2019 or 2020, though. At any rate, I thought I'd give it a mention.

Have a good weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Another option is to dual boot Windows XP and Linux. That might be best for you since you're a bit unsure about it all. That's what I did, I used linux online, then went offline when I went onto XP for anything. There's an article here:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/dual-bo...s-really-easy/
    The article is a bit dated, from 2007, but should still be good I think for the gist of things. If you decide on installing a version of linux, then you could search for a more current article with the particular version of linux you choose and Windows XP.

There's an article to install Microsoft Office on Linux on How to Geek:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/171565/how...fice-on-linux/
    That's from 2013, but still should be useful.

There's an article here from a few years back with suggestions for people who still have XP after Microsoft support ended:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...nger-supported

In my case, my computer with XP on it was having issues(which is understating it, trust me) so I just went with a small light linux distro. Your computer sounds as if it is in better shape, so you might want to consider one of these:
    https://fossbytes.com/best-linux-distro-beginners/
    I have heard a few good things about ubuntu, though it's been a while since I've been reading up on anything linux related.

I can't find anything on Windows XP commercial or business user support being extended until 2020. I'm not trying to imply somebody gave you faulty info, because it's very possible that is correct and I just haven't been able to find it anywhere. I did see support for Windows 7 is until either 2019 or 2020, though. At any rate, I thought I'd give it a mention.

Have a good weekend.
    Hi Zenobia,

Thank you,
    The weekend was OK but the hotel we are in in Kazakhstan has supposed to have had their Wi-Fi/Internet 'upgraded' which it seems still has some serious 'problems' in letting you connect to the Internet.

They actually at some point today installed another Router close to our room to see if it would improve things, but I think the 'Old Russian Concrete' in the walls of the place might be the culprit for screwing up the WiFi!

Still we head home shortly so the 'problems' will be left behind!

I think I will seriously look at putting in a Dual Boot system as some comments from a couple of friends indicate that the likes of Microsoft Office will not run, so as that is a 'tool' I use a lot then sticking with using that in XP and then as you suggest using Linux for all Internet access would make good sense.

I need to make the download and install from the XP Desktop as trying to do the download on the laptop is possibly fraught with other 'problems' as it is recognises the Win10?

You won't find any info on the XP 2020 Update 'facility' as it was kept very very quiet by Windows I believe so they didn't get hammered with requests from organisations who were not included.

Keep smiling and thanks again for the info and tips!

Cheers

That must have been disappointing, especially since you were probably thinking there would be no connection problems this time because you knew they upgraded their internet/wifi.

I need to make the download and install from the XP Desktop as trying to do the download on the laptop is possibly fraught with other 'problems' as it is recognises the Win10?
    It's up to you, you should be able to download the linux setup with Windows 10 wth no problems if you would like to. I downloaded linux with the Windows 7 laptop I had at the time, but I did that because of speed issues since my XP desktop wasn't in very good shape. I had to use an old cd I had here, because I couldn't find my USB drive and the XP desktop computer was too old to run a DVD. I just got a program to burn an iso image onto the cd, burned it, then took the cd and set up using the XP cd drive.
    Weirdly enough I finally found the USB drive in a desktop drawer I'd already looked in multiple times about a year later.
    I found a page showing how to install linux mint alongside XP. You might decide on another linux distro, but it's a better example to read through than the previous page I posted so you can see what installing involves, and also there are instructions there showing how you can boot from USB or DVD if you want to try out the operating system first:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-...on-your-xp-pc/

Keep smiling and thanks again for the info and tips!
    You're welcome.

That must have been disappointing, especially since you were probably thinking there would be no connection problems this time because you knew they upgraded their internet/wifi.

It's up to you, you should be able to download the linux setup with Windows 10 wth no problems if you would like to. I downloaded linux with the Windows 7 laptop I had at the time, but I did that because of speed issues since my XP desktop wasn't in very good shape. I had to use an old cd I had here, because I couldn't find my USB drive and the XP desktop computer was too old to run a DVD. I just got a program to burn an iso image onto the cd, burned it, then took the cd and set up using the XP cd drive.
    Weirdly enough I finally found the USB drive in a desktop drawer I'd already looked in multiple times about a year later.
    I found a page showing how to install linux mint alongside XP. You might decide on another linux distro, but it's a better example to read through than the previous page I posted so you can see what installing involves, and also there are instructions there showing how you can boot from USB or DVD if you want to try out the operating system first:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-...on-your-xp-pc/

You're welcome.
    I found out during a trip in Morocco that Routers can come in 3 different types! 'Micro' 'Mini' and 'Major' after sorting out some issues on a LARGE campsite!

The place was about the size of 6 Football Pitches and the Telecoms 'Man' had installed what turned out to be a Micro Router which had a range of about 30 feet!
    So unless you were underneath it then you got no signal!

When the campsite then got the right Router the Telecom Engineer fitted it 180 degrees out of position, so the signal was going away from and not over the campsite!!! Arrrgh!!!

While the system was allegedly upgraded in the hotel, it seems that have used 'Micro' Routers which have a very short range, and being in a room at the end of a corridor with 4 x 18 Inch walls between our room and the router then that explains why I have a 'problem', they also tried putting in an extra Router on the wall of the corridor but as it was another Micro, then even as it was not fitted into the ceiling of the corridor it still fails to perform!

IT and Radio Technology can be a PITA if you don't do your homework for the place you are installing the 'system' and I don't think the IT Engineer did here!

Like you with your 'Temporary 'Lost' USB stick (Oops!) I cannon remember whether my Desktop is a 64 or 32 bit machine as I installed a new Motherboard and extra memory a few years back so will have to find out when I get home and go from there!

I have made a note of the links you included, thanks, and will use them to get the information and OS when I get back and then let you know what happens!
    Cheers!

I found out during a trip in Morocco that Routers can come in 3 different types! 'Micro' 'Mini' and 'Major' after sorting out some issues on a LARGE campsite!

The place was about the size of 6 Football Pitches and the Telecoms 'Man' had installed what turned out to be a Micro Router which had a range of about 30 feet!
    So unless you were underneath it then you got no signal!

When the campsite then got the right Router the Telecom Engineer fitted it 180 degrees out of position, so the signal was going away from and not over the campsite!!! Arrrgh!!!
    He should have claimed he did that on purpose. "Hey, yeah, I did that because I'm running a free 'Find the wifi' contest. Find the wifi, connect to the internet, win a free...um...toaster!" Y'just have to know how to put the right spin on things.

This shows a keyboard shortcut for finding the 32-bit vs. 64-bit info:
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001121.htm#xp

You're welcome. I hope you like linux, if you do decide to install and dual boot with XP. I did some test runs with Live Linux cds first before I installed so I knew if I liked the linux distros I picked out, you might want to try that as a test run first:
    https://www.linux.com/learn/live-booting-linux

He should have claimed he did that on purpose. "Hey, yeah, I did that because I'm running a free 'Find the wifi' contest. Find the wifi, connect to the internet, win a free...um...toaster!" Y'just have to know how to put the right spin on things.
    Well there are 'Digital Engineers' and then there are 'Dinosaurs' but I doubt if he could have afforded to offer the chance of winning a free toaster let alone a 1 Penny Chew!

I will let you know what happens with the Linux 'saga' after I get back to the UK but it might be a few days as I have a number of other issues to take care of first.

Thanks also for the links.

lol!

I will let you know what happens with the Linux 'saga' after I get back to the UK but it might be a few days as I have a number of other issues to take care of first.

Thanks also for the links.
    Okay. You're welcome.

lol!

Okay. You're welcome.
    Hi Zenobia!

Just a quick update.........

Linux 'Mint' had to be 'removed' like the 'Old GB Pound Coin'!
    For some reason it did not like (probably) the Metal or Magnetic Structure of the HDD it was being downloaded to, so it was consigned to Bin 13 which is the Scrap Bin!

Next one up is the version labelled 'Ubuntu' that I will try to 'install' later this week!

The 'reports/reviews' are advising me that 'Ubuntu' is supposed to be easier but while 'THEY' don't know my Desktop and thinking along the lines of the 'Mr D Trumps' statement of 'Fake News' we will have to wait and see............!

Hey Ho, at the moment 'Paradise' is still 'LOST'!

Cheers

Oh, Ive heard lots of good things about Ubuntu. You might like that one when you try it.

Oh, Ive heard lots of good things about Ubuntu. You might like that one when you try it.
    Hi Zenobia,

Ubuntu installed very easily with no 'problems'.

The 'Desktop Screen' takes a bit of getting used to especially as the 'Side Bar' with all the HDD's/Programs/Browser showing stays there even when you open up a Program!

While the Icons for getting around the opened program are very small, so I might need to make another appointment with the Optician to get a higher magnification on my glasses to make the icons appear BIGGER!

I think I also read somewhere that with Linux you don't need Antimalware or Antivirus as bugs are not 'produced' to infect your machine?

Cheers and thanks for the tips!